HF Mill Drill

Well, I've got some time on the machine and I like it. Light years ahead of milling on the lathe. It's no bridgeport but is perfect for my needs. The finish is good and it will definitely eat some steel. I made a table and fabricated a slide to keep the head aligned when raising and lowering. Definitely worth the money.
DSC_0074.JPGDSC_0086.JPG

Lookin good! Could I get some details on that slide? Diameter of the rod, gauge of the angle iron, any top support etc.

How much does it deflect when moving the head?

Is it easily removable if you want to swing the head?

Lookin good! Could I get some details on that slide? Diameter of the rod, gauge of the angle iron, any top support etc.

How much does it deflect when moving the head?

Is it easily removable if you want to swing the head?
The slide is 7/8" ground rod. I used a 7/8" pillow block as the bearing. The fit was tight so I had to spin the rod in my lathe and hit it with 400 grit paper to get a good sliding fit. For rigidity the piece of angle iron coming up off the corner of the table is 3 x 3 with a 1/2 inch wall thickness. It overlaps the table leg by 2 feet and is quite stiff. The rest of the angle iron is 3 x3 x 3/16". Running the head up and down it stays within a thou or 2 but when I tighten the head clamps it moves about 5 thou. I've been meaning to get a torque wrench so I can tighten the head more consistantly but so far I havn't done it. The easiest way to swing the head would be to unbolt the pillow block from the bracket but it would only swing one way. The ground rod could be removed for swinging either way but then the rod would have to be re trammed. The support at the upper end of the ground rod is the same as the bottom one.

Yes me too I really like that set up ! Total cost for material?
I don't know the actual cost. Some stuff I already had. The rod and pillow block were about $40. I spent $250 on the 3/16 angle iron but that included enough to do both the mill table and a flatbed for my truck.

I like your set up andam goung to check out the possibilities of stealing your design for my Enco 105-1117. Like you said there is a great difference between milling on the lathe and the mill/drill. I am owner # 2 and got the mill with ax X axis power feed, that I use a lot. Mounting a DRO is somewhat in conflict with the power feed in that the power feed limit switch is mounted in front of the table using the groove in the table front for adjustable limit blocks. Mounting the X axis DRO on the back of the table seems workable but reducing the Y axis travel 1.25 inches. Also a means to prevent damage to the X axjsDRO would have to be put in place.
Have a good day
Ray

Back