HF Mill Drill

I had a student bring one to a class a few years ago and he said the cross-slide shook when he used it. We pulled it apart and saw the lousy fit. We spent a couple of days working on it and even after that He said he wasted his money on it. I suspect if your looking at it to run OK or good you will be disappointed.

I concur with most of what's been said. Two points especially, patience is truly a virtue and HF quality is iffy at best. I found a RF30 made in '88 with a heavy duty table and some tooling for $400. But it took 6mo. And in that time I learned about the strengths and weaknesses. What to look for, what to avoid. Tiawan made is better. Also know your expected work envelope. I knew 99% of what I wanted to do was not going to be bigger than 5"x5"x3". So for me the RF30 works quite well. I've had to do some work on mine but so far it's nothing I've not been able to handle and it being a very popular machine despite its many detractors you can easily find how to do the repairs and mod's online. And that includes moving it and taking it apart all with a HF engine hoist. There have been some screaming deals on Bridgeport clones around here and while it's true they don't take up that much more room you are talking 3x's the weight to move and that's what ultimately stopped me. BTW I'd figure a way to keep the drill press as there's been many a time in a project where I needed them both.

This is my 91' central machinery mill, I picked up locally, for $250. I've had it for a couple years, and couldn't be happier with it. I've done a lot of mods to it, and it hasn't let me down. Very rigid, about 800 lbs. However, keep in mind, it's not the machine that will cost the most, it's the tooling/accessories. I have well over $1500 in this "$250" machine. But I'll say again, its central machinery, and I really didnt expect much...I was pleasantly surprised!

Attachments

• 20190119_072319.jpg
    20190119_072319.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20180805_191241.jpg
    20180805_191241.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47
The HF model is a Chinese clone of the RF-30 and in appearance looks almost identical but I suspect the build quality will not be as good as the Taiwanese RF models. I have not used a Chinese model before so I don't know how good or bad they really are vs the real thing, sorry. But on to your question ...

What is the consensus on the usefullness of this machine?

See all the above. You are going to find a lot of detractors regarding round column mills, many of whom have never even seen one in the flesh. For those of us who have lived with them, or at least myself, I think they are quite adequate for a hobby shop. Think about this - you have an 800# machine (weight of the machine plus the stand), 200# of it in the head that rides on a 4-1/2" diameter heavy cast iron column. It has a 3" diameter quill with 5" of travel, and that travel is useful under both radial and axial loads. I don't know how accurate the spindle is on a Chinese machine but I do know that you can replace the bearings pretty easily to greatly improve the run out.

The design of these mills is essentially identical to an Asian drill press but the castings and components are considerably larger and more rigid. There is about 14" of travel up and down the column; while not huge, it is useful as it is. The head does swivel side to side, which can be very handy at times. It is true that you cannot drill the end of a long work piece but think about how often you've had to drill or mill the end of a really long piece and make up your own mind.

Much is made about the round column but to be very honest, I haven't found that to be a major issue at all. Once I start work, I rarely need to move the head so this is not a big deal to me. I'm currently installing the True Line 8 that is supposed to maintain orientation of the head as it moves on the column but I'm not sure just how useful it is because as I said, this head movement thing is a minor issue.

If these mills have a major con, I would have to say that the accuracy of the leadscrews, leadscrew nuts, hand wheels and gibs are not as smooth or accurate as I would like. The gibs are the antiquated tapered style that can be finicky to adjust properly. There is more backlash in the leadscrew nuts than I would like, even though they are adjustable for this. They work but are less precise than I would like. This makes a DRO almost a must-have on these machines if you need to do accurate work.

Will it replace a drill press? Yes, for most work, this kind of machine will replace a drill press because it is, essentially, a drill press. It is also much, much more. But, just like a drill press, it also requires belt position changes to change speeds if that matters to you.

So, yes, it is a useful machine. In the 5 years I've owned mine, it has done all I've asked of it without a single problem. It is big enough and accurate enough for my needs. I would not trade it unless I found a small knee mill in pristine shape; until then, it stays.

I was in the market for a mill for hobby limited room in my garage. I have been looking on and off for a long time. I wanted a used one so looked e bay cr letgo everywhere. Overpriced and flakes everywhere but o joined this site and asked like you are doing and stayed patient and an RF- 30 Taiwanese column mill was available for 300.00 with vice and tools. They are heavy I took it apart and it still heavy. This thing looks capable and plenty of members like them. Be patient you will succeed. Good luck

The data sheet for the HF mill lists a "comparable" of Shop Fox 426419. Nope! The comparable would be more like the Grizzly G0705 ($1800), G0760 ($2200, including stand) or G0754 ($2250, including power feed). The Grizzlys have a 4 ½" column, no info on the HF. Table sizes are similar.

I myself would prefer a Grizzly over an HF.

If budget is an issue, I'd even consider something like an X2 size (mini-mill). Right now, LMS has one on sale for $730.
I had an X2 for a number of years, during which it was my only mill.

... and of course, never lose sight of the fact that tooling up ANY mill will cost you a bundle as well!

Last edited:
I had that same HF mill for 15 Years. I bought it new at a time (1998) when HF was guaranteeing free shipping both ways if you were unhappy. I figured I had nothing to loose.

When it arrived, I instrumented the flatness of the table, and other parameters while it was still on the shipping pallet, and found it more than acceptable. Put a Dro Pros DRO on it, used it happily and learned a lot for 15 years. Sold it for what I paid when I got the bug to buy a used Bridgeport.

Well, it doesn’t seem to have any angle to it, and I like the sound of a “seat of the pants” approach. I have a has parting tool that is about the same width I was thinking of working with as a starting point, and have lots of 4140 5/8”stock to practice with (outside diameter). Probably not purchasing an optical comparator, the magnifying glass seems a bit more practical for my level. Thanks for the great explanation
David
I had that same HF mill for 15 Years. I bought it new at a time (1998) when HF was guaranteeing free shipping both ways if you were unhappy. I figured I had nothing to loose.

When it arrived, I instrumented the flatness of the table, and other parameters while it was still on the shipping pallet, and found it more than acceptable. Put a Dro Pros DRO on it, used it happily and learned a lot for 15 years. Sold it for what I paid when I got the bug to buy a used Bridgeport.
Thanks. I ordered the HF mill yesterday for $960 with a 20% coupon! There seems to be 2 camps on this. Those that hate them and those that like them. After researching this until my eyes crossed it seems that the people that don't have them don't like them and the people who actually own them are pretty happy. I don't see how I can go wrong with the price. I've been milling for years on my lathe and this has got to be a giant step up.

Let us know what you think of it initially and then after some use, please, watching with interest.

I made my 1st 4 cuts with a ball end mill yesterday on my lathe set up. I was happy with the cuts on my lathe but see the light of a dedicated mill.

Best of luck!!

Let us know what you think of it initially and then after some use, please, watching with interest.

I made my 1st 4 cuts with a ball end mill yesterday on my lathe set up. I was happy with the cuts on my lathe but see the light of a dedicated mill.

Best of luck!!
Thanks. HF gave me a window of 5 to 17 weeks??? Fortunately I'm in no hurry. I only bought it now because I was afraid of a price increase with the tariff situation heating up. You can do some decent milling on a lathe but setup is pain with the table vertical and if you have project that mixes milling and turning you waste some time switching back and forth. I'll certainly do a followup on here when I get my machine!

Back