HF Shop Press finished (I think)

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I recently upgraded my HF shop press to air over hydraulic operation and it's been a Godsend. One downside has been operating the hand operated air valve as my left hand is disabled and would cramp up after a few minutes. I thought about getting a foot operated valve but I don't like using a foot pedal while standing up. My solution was to mount the valve on the press and work it by pulling a lever. The owners manual said to oil the air motor periodically so I added a tee right near the unit so I can just pop the top plug and add oil. All the material was courtesy of a dumpster dive at a fab shop and I didn't have to by a single item. (correction; I bought the brass Tee and plug)

Attachments

• DSC_0928.JPG
    DSC_0928.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0932.JPG
    DSC_0932.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0933.JPG
    DSC_0933.JPG
    558.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0934.JPG
    DSC_0934.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Nice. I currently use the foot valve but would like to go to a knee control for the press and blast cabinet. I think your design might work.

Cool idea! The only thing I'd be worried about is the plunger spring in the air valve, you are resting extra weight on it all the time and it has to work harder to lift/hold the weight of the lever. If it starts leaking or fails, your ram will start moving without your input, which is not a good thing with machinery. A second spring on the lever that lifts it off the valve plunger would provide better safety and reliability.

Cool idea! The only thing I'd be worried about is the plunger spring in the air valve, you are resting extra weight on it all the time and it has to work harder to lift/hold the weight of the lever. If it starts leaking or fails, your ram will start moving without your input, which is not a good thing with machinery. A second spring on the lever that lifts it off the valve plunger would provide better safety and reliability.
The actuating lever is aluminum and doesn't compress the spring at all. The lever also flips over to the back of the machine when not in use. My shop is crowded and I didn't want to keep bumping into it when walking by. Thx for the hedzup.

Back