HF Steps Up

Wow! I might have to show appreciation and actually buy some things there. Very amazing gift in such a time of GREAT need.

If you haven't been to a Harbor Freight for a few years they're worth checking out again. With their newer upgraded lines it seems to me that they are attempting to fill the niche that has been mostly abandoned by Sears Craftsman--decent, economical tools. There's still some junk there to watch out for, but even in power tools and welders they're selling some pretty good stuff at pretty low prices. (Plus free flashlights.)

One thing that Harbor Freight has been doing for a while is their program called "Harbor Freight Tools for Schools". And now this for the hospitals is just fantastic. Except for buying some stuff there, I'm not in any way trying to endorse them. But from now on I won't refer to them as "horrible fright".

I feel good that I just ordered some parts bins and extra wrenches from HF, a little before hearing about this.

I wouldn't put HF in the same class as Snap On, Starrett or Mitutoyo, but they do have some reliable products. I've had a couple pf their hydraulic tables going on 15 years and they both work fine. I also have several pair of their cheap calipers. I've purchased a few of their winches. I actually used one to disassemble and reassemble my Bridgeport when I moved it to the shop in the basement.

On the other hand there have been a few duds. I bought a high speed die grinder for a job a while ago. It still works, but it gets so hot you have to wear gloves to use it. I have a couple of their 2/6/10 amp battery chargers for garden tractors. One works while the other will be destined for the trash shortly.

In our area there's some competition. There's a retailer called "Northern Tool" (formerly Northern Hydraulic) That sells similar goods. They were about a step above HF in both price and quality. As mentioned I think with the advent of the Sears chain closing HF is stepping up a bit so they're closing the gap.

When I need a tool for daily or professional use I usually step up to the name brands. For those that get a one time or limited use HF seems to fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Mr. Smidt sends out emails to his customers often, but I thought this one was especially well done. It probably made his customers feel good about the business, but likely also had a positive effect on his employees.

My view is that HFT is a well run business, due in large measure to Mr. Smidt. The stores are well stocked, clean, and the staff is pretty good. And he's got to be pretty good overall businessman to be as successful as he is.

As far as the tools go, as others have said, some are good, some are just lousy. But even some of the lousy ones can be modified into very decent tools if one has the time and inclination to do so.

OK, Not saying they have to brag, or anything. We all know many things like this get faked by strangers, for what ever reason. I guess I am not up high enough to get the E-mails from the top. After posting that, I will get knocked down the ladder even more.
Search your e-mail for sender "Eric Smidt, Harbor Freight Tools Founder" from server "hft@em.harborfreight.com".
In GMail mine was in the 'Promotions' folder.
Yesterday, Sunday @1:32PM EDT.

Nice move any way you slice it. . .

I agree, I have many tools from Harbor freight.
As do I. HF has allowed me to buy tools to use during the time in which I am trying to replace them in. One of these days I'll make it, although the hydraulic press, floor jack, dead blows, and 24" breaker bars aren't giving me much reason to replace them. I might have to break down and visit HF for a pair of new roll away base cabinets pretty soon, since used cabinets with a name brand go for more when rusty and used than their cabinets do brand new.

I forwarded the message to my daughter in Oakland, she's an RN in the Kaiser ER. Thank you for posting. They are scrambling.....

Are there radiation sterilizing operations for hospital equipment in Ca?

Back