HF T-2119/9970 for my home shop

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I’ve been wanting a mill for quite some time, finally found one local for a good price and brought it home.

46E79430-1469-47BD-937D-EC121D1A4C66.jpeg

7F6E562A-0036-4D98-8EF9-B7681D62536C.jpeg

66EF0BCE-841A-4D1E-AE1A-F560AD917870.jpeg

1C572E94-E828-4529-9F34-1EDEAC0B480B.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice that you got the stand with it- one less thing you need to build (or buy)
I wonder how many of those were made under all the various brands over the years? Must be in the millions

Yeah, probably millions and lots of good work done with them.

The stand is too low for my liking and storage is unusable. I’m designing a table to put it up on and use the space beneath for tool storage.

John

I'm sure you will find lots of things to do with it. These mills get a lot of grief due to the round column, but a lot of people seem to find them useful and used they can be a real bargain.
I was rather surprised at the size the first time I saw one in person, much larger than I expected. Not a Bridgeport, but they are not a tiny mill.

IMO a lot of people who buy the mini mills would be better off just getting one of those in the first place
Much heavier duty and more powerful, nearly the same cost

In my opinion, the HF Rong-fu is a great mill once dialed in. Get the gibs and locks snug, take the backlash out of the quill, beef up the round column head bolts, and you're on your way. Add a servo on the x-axis and get some R8 collets, and you've got a good machine. A budget-friendly iGauging DRO will speed up your work. You'll get to the point where you feel like you're working on a milling machine, not a drill press. I think the success you can find in running a Rong Fu comes down to the operator's attention to detail and ability to visualize the process. Do everything you can think of during setup and milling to optimize rigidity, and the results will come out in bloom for you.

In my opinion, the HF Rong-fu is a great mill once dialed in. Get the gibs and locks snug, take the backlash out of the quill, beef up the round column head bolts, and you're on your way. Add a servo on the x-axis and get some R8 collets, and you've got a good machine. A budget-friendly iGauging DRO will speed up your work. You'll get to the point where you feel like you're working on a milling machine, not a drill press. I think the success you can find in running a Rong Fu comes down to the operator's attention to detail and ability to visualize the process. Do everything you can think of during setup and milling to optimize rigidity, and the results will come out in bloom for you.

When I had my commercial shop in Michigan I owned a Gorton 1-22 MasterMill which was a wonderful iron behemoth. Unfortunately I couldn't fit it into my garage so ended up trading it for sailboat rigging.

Now in my little shop here I have a 12x36 Taiwan built lathe and this mill which I think will serve well. I've already purchased a set of TNX collets and am looking at DRO's and Align power feeds. Also planning on changing to a three phase motor with VFD for speed control, will have to see if I can make the 5hp unit I have work or if I should get a smaller one.

John

Looks either lightly used or taken care of pretty well. Can’t read the plate but by the belt cover it’s one of the older ones. Does it say made in Taiwan?
The guy I bought if from used it exclusively for mitering tubes for custom bicycle frames so the wear appears minimal. I did have to clean it up some but don't see overhauling it anytime soon.

Yes, it is a Taiwan built Harbor Freight unit from the 90's I think.

John

Back