HF Tool Grinder on SALE

jawz41

Registered
Registered
If you had a HF heavy duty 8 x 1 grinder and a 1 x 42 w/8 inch disc belt sander would you spend the money on the HF tool grinder for 129.99? Was thinking of just buying a good 8 x 1 wheel and working with what I have for sharpening HSS and carbide. Can anybody make a suggestion on a 8 x 1 wheel.

I,m in the same boat as you. I want to get some new wheels for mine also. got old baldor grinder from work, one worn down and wire brush on other.

I have 2 8" grinders and a 6" but I did get the HF tool grinder and want to do the mods on it. It is well worth the 129.00 if you get some good Diamond wheel for it. I also have a 6 X 48 Belt sander with the 8" disk Belt sander.

Paul

Who is a good source for diamond wheels for the HF tool grinder? How much can I expect to pay?

I'd like to join in here, also. I just bought that tool grinder from HF, and am in the initial stages of attempting to learn how to grind cutting tool bits. I would be interested in finding reasonably priced grinding wheels, that won't completely empty my wallet.
Is diamond the best wheel to grind HSS, or carbide? I have many questions, some of which I don't even know how to ask yet!:eek:
Tim,,,

I'd like to join in here, also. I just bought that tool grinder from HF, and am in the initial stages of attempting to learn how to grind cutting tool bits. I would be interested in finding reasonably priced grinding wheels, that won't completely empty my wallet.
Is diamond the best wheel to grind HSS, or carbide? I have many questions, some of which I don't even know how to ask yet!:eek:
Tim,,,

As I've recently learned, for grinding HSS and aluminum oxide type wheel is best for HSS while diamond is a no-go. It would seem that the harder the material you are trying to grind, the softer (more friable) the wheel you should be using. While that's a "start" for you I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pipe in on where/what to buy in the way of wheels for your new HF grinder. In the meantime here is a page from Enco's catalog with some basic information:

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should have said that there not good for HHS but carbide is a different story. I use a Diamond wheel for those when I need to. Mostly I use inserts now. I got my Diamond Wheel from ENCO about 90.00 I think.

Paul

I bought the HF grinder and it was a little noisy with some vibration out of the box. So I did the you-tube modification and was unhappy with the first attempt. After a few hours of swapping the disc around I was thinking that I may have gotten them mixed up so I just turned them again. I marked everything better this time and the run out was .001 or less after the second turn. Man what a difference no noise, no vibration and I can balance a nickel on the top. So I’m very happy with the purchase on sale 129.99 – 20% = 103.99. Thinking about going back to get the 2 year warranty for 10 bucks.

I bought the HF grinder and it was a little noisy with some vibration out of the box. So I did the you-tube modification and was unhappy with the first attempt. After a few hours of swapping the disc around I was thinking that I may have gotten them mixed up so I just turned them again. I marked everything better this time and the run out was .001 or less after the second turn. Man what a difference no noise, no vibration and I can balance a nickel on the top. So I’m very happy with the purchase on sale 129.99 – 20% = 103.99. Thinking about going back to get the 2 year warranty for 10 bucks.
--question--?? what is this u--tube modification to h.f. grinder?? i would like to learn how to grind hi--speed tool bits---can't afford to spend $800 to $1200 for tool grinder. would be happy if i could find old rebuildable ''baldor'' grinder. don't care if it's used --just needs to be smoooooth. thanks in advance.:) re steve

--question--?? what is this u--tube modification to h.f. grinder?? i would like to learn how to grind hi--speed tool bits---can't afford to spend $800 to $1200 for tool grinder. would be happy if i could find old rebuildable ''baldor'' grinder. don't care if it's used --just needs to be smoooooth. thanks in advance.:) re steve
It is a 5 part video on how to improve the grinder, Here is the first one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSi3lucyRQo

Paul

Back