Hit Miss Engine - second try

Racer57

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My first try at a hit-miss motor was not 100% successful. It had to go to the small motor whisperer (ChrisH on this forum). We did indeed get it working and stable. I never felt that O-rings were a proper way of sealing a piston. I bought a piston and rings from China a set off on the next adventure. There were some false steps and there are a few "warts" in the final product. But... its runs and runs well.

My biggest issue was learning how to do ball bearing assembly. There is a very small difference between just right and too tight. It took a little "tuning" to get everything where I liked it. It is wonderful what locktite and emery paper can fix. The final displacement is ~30cc.

If the forum does what I expect the link to a video will be below.

Will

The final product link

Looks and sounds nice! Do you have any pictures of the parts & assembly process?

Great job Will
So what is next?

Ray

Sounds great. You can be proud of it.

I have some photos. I will put something together in the next couple of days.

I don't know what is next. There is a Youtube series about making die-filer that is interesting. It would be an expensive project.
We will see,

Will

The flywheels started out as a 1.5"x7" slug from Alro. I had to spit it. As seems to be my normal this was at the limit of my equipment.

IMG_5088 ROTATED.JPG

After a time and multiple turns of the blank I had two.

I have the best luck on my equipment turning these big diameter pieces is between between centers. It turns out that 7" is my limit,

IMG_5094.JPG

The next piece was the crankshaft. I made the end plates using a home built mandrel. When I had both plates machined with the mains hole I bolted both on the mandrel centered on the mill and drilled and reamed the journal holes.

IMG_5097.JPGIMG_5098.JPG

There final assembly was drilled and pinned with #2 taper pins and Locktite. After lots of machine work it looks like this. I had a length of precision .5" rod for the mains. In the end it has been strong and true.

IMG_5102.JPG

That's all for now. If this is not interesting let me know. There are gaps because I was doing the photos to share with my mentor and brother (ChrisH) and not necessarily create a complete story.

Will

Chris:
What piston did you buy? I have a hit miss engine that runs good when you put in a new o ring on the piston. Then it looses compression and does not run.

Roger L

I bought it from ebay. 32 mm which is a little 1 1/4". It came from China so it took a few weeks to arrive.

I have other engines I have built using O-rings and they run pretty well. The first o-ring wears pretty fast but once the cylinder gets polished, the next o-ring lasts a long time. I run 10% wd-40 in my fuel.

Last edited:
Chris:
Thanks for the information. I have a 3/4" bore cylinder so I would need a smaller piston. Somthing to look at. I might just need to polish the bore better to get a smoother finish. That might solve the problem.

Thanks Again
Roger L

All of these pistons are for repairing chain saws and like. The smallest that I have found is around an inch.

Will

Back