Hitachi vfd help, phoenix az

mike96

Registered
Registered
Looking for someone [preferably in the Phoenix az area that is very familiar with the Hitachi wj200 vfds. I recently purchased a precision matthews lathe, the gentelman that sold me the lathe did not know anything about it, his father had upgraded the lathe and unfortunately he has passed away so I am unable to ask him any questions. Basically I can not run the lathe without holding in a button that was added onto the front of the lathe. It is the only way to turn power on thru the e-stop button so that the spindle will turn on. I don't want to hold the button in continuously as I do not know if it is safe to do and won't cause any damage to the vfd. I have a feeling having someone look at this in person will be much easier, but I will try and draw up a diagram of how everything is connected when I have time this weekend for those wo might be able to provide assistance online.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sounds like the previous owner did a quick and dirty VFD install using some of the original switching controls- probably incorrectly.
The first thing you should check is if the motor is connected directly to the Hitachi output; it should be-nothing in between. Second thing is to download the operating manual for the Hitachi if you don't have it yet
Any existing lathe control buttons/switches should be rewired to control the VFD itself for the basic functions like start, stop, forward and reverse.
The Hitachi manual, plus the wiring diagram for the lathe should enable you to straighten it out

Last edited:
Lots of possibilities, might be as simple as the stop switch stuck. + 1 on control buttons/switches should be wired to the VFD, not to relays, starters etc.

From what I can tell it does not look like a quick and dirty install. Most of the origonal buttons are wired to the vfd save for the coolant control. And from what it looked like, yes the motor is directly to the vfd. I will work on putting together a more comprehensive diagram this comming weekend. I have a couple of photos I need to get uploaded now but I will get better ones as well as try and post up a video.

Stop switch feels like it functioned correctly. I will test it also this weekend to be sure. What gets me is the fact that the stop switch doesn't get power at all unless you hold in the button which looks to be wired directly to the vfd input pins H and O. So it is the vfd that is turning on power to the stop switch and spindle control.

I do have the manual (pdf) but I regret to say that it does have me baffled. It is a bit over my head and hard to swallow all 677 pages...

Mike.

The VFD inputs control the function of the VFD, they do not require external power, more like closing a switch and then the VFD runs the motor. The H, O, L are the speed pot connections, if you disconnect the H and 0 connections (or just the H) then the VFD would see this as a "0" speed. H is +10V and the L is the 0V, the position of the "O" connection is a voltage divider that is interpreted as the speed from 100% to 0% depending on the VFD settings. Not a good way to control the VFD, nor for an emergency stop. Best to map out the connections and post some photos of the Machine connections, the VFD connections and also the control box, and if the original contactors are still present. The WJ200 is a common VFD installed on these lathes, no need to go through all the parameters, there is also some information in the related thread. The last update is in post 108, but you can read through it if you want. The VFD run controls (inputs) should not be directly connected to the spindle switch, there should be some form of interlock system so that if there is a power glitch, or you turn on the lathe that it can't suddenly start. Also having to press and hold a button to run the lathe is equally lame and dangerous.

Maybe it has a proximity sensor, something has the sensor tripped and that is a proximity override button?

I would just focus on the button that was added and if it jives with the recommended circuit diagram in the Hitachi manual.
I question the need to add a button- sounds a bit odd as I believe the stock buttons should have been usable-?
-M

Last edited:
Maybe it has a proximity sensor, something has the sensor tripped and that is a proximity override button?

SOaB, now I feel tarded. LOL... You may have something there... Now that I think about it, there was a proxy switch the last owner had attached to the cartridge stop. The switch was dangling from the lathe when I picked it up, so I disconnected it and set it off to the side so it wouldnt get snagged on something and ripped off the lathe while moving it, so it is currently not connected... Guess I need to dig it out of the tool box...

Sometimes we overlook the obvious I guess. I will plug that in and give it a shot this weekend and see what happens. Hopefully that is all it is.

Thank you so much for the assistance so far.
I will report back when I have a chance to try this out.

Mike.

Sounds like one of my control systems, and yes the cable/proximity sensor must be connected for it to work w/o pressing the bypass button.

Made it out to where the lathe is currently stored, plugged in the proxy switch and the lathe works as it should. Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it a bunch.

Now that just leaves me with one question. What would be the reason for having a switch system set up like that on a movable saddle stop? The proximity switch shuts that lathe down completely when it gets to its set position. Other than for threading operations (mainly metric I would think) I don't really see any practical use for a setup like this. You don't really want to shut down the spindle motor while you are in the middle of a cut and your tool is in the part, except for in a o-crap moment, right? So what else would this be used for?

Curious...

Back