Hitachi VFD Torque Settings

Is it possible that the spindle was turning backwards? I did that one time, and it actually ''cut'' for about 1/2 inch before the endmill broke.

It was running in the proper direction. Today I ran a periphery cut in 6061 with a 3/8" 4 flute carbide end mill, 5250 rpm, 39.5 IPM, 1/2" DOC, .0375 WOC, and flood coolant. No problems whatsoever. And this was with a well used end mill. Could be that 1/2" and larger end mills exert just enough cutting leverage to stall the motor. Anything smaller runs fine.

It was running in the proper direction. Today I ran a periphery cut in 6061 with a 3/8" 4 flute carbide end mill, 5250 rpm, 39.5 IPM, 1/2" DOC, .0375 WOC, and flood coolant. No problems whatsoever. And this was with a well used end mill. Could be that 1/2" and larger end mills exert just enough cutting leverage to stall the motor. Anything smaller runs fine.

A while back we pulled a brand new endmill out of the package and it just would not cut properly, would almost instantly load up and the load meter went into the red. We grabbed another new one, same part number, and stuffed that in and it worked fine. Same cutting conditions.

Visually we could not see any difference in the end mills and both were sharp. The bad one went back to the manufactures lab for testing, never heard back on the problem.

Back