Hitachi WJ200 Inverter on PM-1640TL

BillHowell

Registered
Registered
I am new to the Inverter game so this I am sure a rookie question.

1. If I supply single phase 220 to the inverter once turned on will it simply supply 220 3 phase output.
2. Will this 220 3 phase output once connected to a 3 Phase connections on lathe allow all of the normal lathe controls to work? For Example: forward and reverse, power feeds, etc.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Short answer, is no. A VFD is not a single phase to 3 phase power source for the machine. Most of what you ask is spelled out in the post below. The alternative if you want a plug and play option is a RPC, otherwise a Phase Perfect is the solid state version.

The answer is yes if you are willing to wire the motor directly to the VFD, otherwise no if there are switches and contactors in between
-M

The answer is yes if you are willing to wire the motor directly to the VFD, otherwise no if there are switches and contactors in between
-M

I’m pretty sure this is incorrect. No controls would work wiring a vfd directly to a motor. There would be much more work involved in getting the lathe running as if it was simply plugged into a 3 phase power source.

Not incorrect but I should have elaborated- Yes indeed there is more work involved in that none of the machine's original control and switching can be left in place between the motor and vfd. The original controls in many cases can be utilized/rewired to the vfd to provide the same functionality. The stop/start and forward/reverse controls can be connected to the vfd low voltage control inputs in most cases although they sometimes have too much contact resistance to operate the vfd properly and replacement low voltage buttons/switches must be used.
Also, the programming of the vfd is somewhat time consuming but there is help online and here on HM
-Mark
The main idea is that opening the motor connections with power applied will generate severe voltage transients which can damage the output stage of many VFDs

Last edited:
I am new to the Inverter game so this I am sure a rookie question.

Here is another link to describe how to install your VFD as well as to add various control features..... It tries to explain how the VFD works and how the controls are hooked up. I did it for my PM1440GT and then documented it with much detail. I got rid of the mechanical relays in my conversion. I also wrote up how the lathe was initially wired up if that is of use to you. It seems that more folks download the original factory build document than they do the VFD conversion document!!! The 1640 is a bigger motor etc, but the ideas/concepts are the same.

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

Good luck,
Dave

Back