HITCH FOR MY QUAD

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Dispersed between my sons and I are all kinds of tow behinds like mixers, mowers, rollers, trailers, log splitters, ect. As we're always passing these around between us we adapt everything to 2 inch tow balls so everybody always shows up with the right hitch. My quad has a welded on mount for a hitch but it only has a 5/8 hole while the only 2 inch balls I could find needed a one inch hole. I went to turn down the shaft on the 2 inch ball to 5/8 but discovered the ball was bigger than the base flange and I couldn't hold it. I had to turn a flat spot on the ball so it matched the base flange then flip it around so I could turn down the shaft to 5/8 and single point it to 5/8 x 11. Two hours later I finished the job I told my wife was gonna take 15 minutes. Why do these things always happen to ME?
DSC_0387.JPGDSC_0390.JPGDSC_0391.JPG

Last edited:
I had to make the same modification a couple of months ago. rather than turn the ball diameter down, I mounted the ball in the three jaw and trued it up for runout. Then I center drilled the end and used my live center to stabilize the ball. Next, I turned the shank down to 5/8" and faced the bottom of the flange.

I happen to have a 5/8-11 die so I threaded it with the die but if I had to single point thread it, I would cut a 60º taper on the end of a 1/2" rod and mount it in my tailstock chuck as a temporary center. The cutting forces when threading are low enough that a mild steel center will hold up fine for the one off job.
5-8 Shank Ball .JPG

BTW, around here, Class III 2" balls typically have a 3/4" shank. Class IV balls have a 1" shank.

I had to make the same modification a couple of months ago. rather than turn the ball diameter down, I mounted the ball in the three jaw and trued it up for runout. Then I center drilled the end and used my live center to stabilize the ball. Next, I turned the shank down to 5/8" and faced the bottom of the flange.

I happen to have a 5/8-11 die so I threaded it with the die but if I had to single point thread it, I would cut a 60º taper on the end of a 1/2" rod and mount it in my tailstock chuck as a temporary center. The cutting forces when threading are low enough that a mild steel center will hold up fine for the one off job.
View attachment 329011

BTW, around here, Class III 2" balls typically have a 3/4" shank. Class IV balls have a 1" shank.
I tried my 3 jaw but wasn't inspired by the grip. It barely reached the biggest OD of the ball if at all. I only removed about a hundred thou off the ball so I'm not worried about it pulling a mower or roller. I already had a couple of 2 inch balls with 1 inch shanks on the shelf so I used what I had.

The chuck grip alone wasn't sufficient in my case either but the addition of the tailstock center made a secure mount. Anorher way would be to center drill the ball as well and turn between centers. Given your intended use, turning the ball should be OK but I have had a hitch pop off a ball before. Not a fun experience if it happens on the highway.

Like my paint job? I used a sock and a stick! It was just starting to drizzle and I didn't want my welds to rust.
LOL. I was wondering...WTH is up with that. Now I know!

Sure everyone knows ball couplers are adjustable to fit ball.

Aaaaahhhhh Man........
You just missed the perfect opportunity to justify building or buying a ball turner for your lathe. Then you could have made a whole new ball out of bars stock.
You could have stretched this 15 minute job into a couple of weeks and had new toy.....I mean tools to boot.

Aaaaahhhhh Man........
You just missed the perfect opportunity to justify building or buying a ball turner for your lathe. Then you could have made a whole new ball out of bars stock.
You could have stretched this 15 minute job into a couple of weeks and had new toy.....I mean tools to boot.
Ha! I don't need any help getting into trouble. I'm already onto my next debacle. Converting my 2 wheel pull behind mower to a 4 wheel job to prevent scalping. WIFE: Why didn't you just buy the 4 wheel model when you bought the mower? ME: But I saved $1000. WIFE: And now your paying back the thousand at $5.oo an hour. ME: What's for lunch?

Back