HobbyCNC microstepping problem

So you'd connect the stepper like this:
a: Black
COM: Yellow
A: Green

b: Red
COM: White
B: Blue

And you're sure there's no Trolls, Evil Spirits or Gremlins in the board ? :confused: (This is all I can think of)

Check to see if all the steppers do the same thing or if the problem is unique to the one that you removed for testing ?

So you'd connect the stepper like this:
a: Black
COM: Yellow
A: Green

b: Red
COM: White
B: Blue

And you're sure there's no Trolls, Evil Spirits or Gremlins in the board ? :confused: (This is all I can think of)

Wirering: As you descibed.
Evils spirits etc: failed to make reliable measurement :)

Check to see if all the steppers do the same thing or if the problem is unique to the one that you removed for testing ?

They all do the same thing on the mill, not removed the other two motors to test separately.

Sounds like it is time to get with the company that made the stepper controller. Possibly a controller bug ?

I posted a question to the HobbyCNC yahoo group yesterday, no reply so far. I'v not tried cnczone yet.

I'v still not solved the driver problem, but I got my mill running using 3 MA860H drivers which I was planning to use for another project.

I've not given up fixing the HobbyCNC board, but if I do I will use it for something else. It's just to much work to take out the drivers and rewire everything.

I'm still tweaking things, but I have milled some parts and I'm very happy with the performance of the Taig mill.

Edit due to me not seing your latest post ;)

Being unipolor motors (5/6 wire type) the torque is going to vary at different steps when half stepping etc.

Have you got an osciloscope so you can view the coil voltages and shape?

Stuart

What is the kernel speed? I don't have LinuxCNC up in front of me right now and don't remember how it's calculated.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Taig. It has a lot more capability than I was expecting. I have access to it as part of a high school robotics team I mentor and it has really helped me understand how the hobby-grade CNC systems work and has helped put a boot in my rear to finish my conversion (at least once it gets above 45 degrees in the garage).

I had all sorts of issues with the eBay TB6560 board. I eventually traced them to the pulse per inch being incorrect. For some reason one axis was set at 1/8 microstepping and the rest at 1/16. The 1/8 axis was also set with 64000 pulses per inch (as opposed to 16000) and somehow worked properly for a year or so. Granted, this machine was also set up with Mach at 4ipm rapids. Needless to say, I did some tweaking and the board works well now.

Does your current board work well without microstepping? You may not need it. I've been running a Taig that initially was set up for 1/16 microstepping and had all sorts of speed and torque issues (1/16 microstepping could result in the motors with as little as 10% of rated torque). I turned off microstepping and have had good results. Here is with 2D adaptive clearing in a plastic sheet with a 2 flute HSS, 10k rpm, 0.125" DoC, 36 ipm. 2D adaptive clearing wasn't the best strategy timewise for this (all of those jogs were painful), but I'm still new at this.

Also, one thing to note: how is the grounding of the machine? I noticed any large static charge on the machine will trip the "Reset (E-stop)" on Mach. This can cause all sort of issues. I am going to investigate bonding all of the electrical system grounds together (power supply, control board, mill) to see if this is a potential issue.

Back