Hoists to lift lathe chucks?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi Guys,

Have any of you made hoists or other devices to haul chucks way too heavy to lift from a rack to the lathe, some are

Please show us what you have made! (Photos would be grrrrreat!)

Thanks!

Nelson

Ken,

Their "chuck hook" looks darn nice. Where did you find it, and were you able to fix it up so it works?

Thanks,

Nelson

I found it at a machinery dealer in Portland OR. they come apart easy. I just unknoted the chain. and it was good to go. Ken

The Sky Hook is definatly a great little hoist. I have the same one in my shop. Rated @ 500 lbs, and they pick up heavy items with ease. I have mine mounted to a 4-way turret toolpost, that bolts on my Lathe or Mill fast and easy.

My Lathe has several chucks, ranging from 6 inch to 12 inch, and the bigger ones like the 10 and 12 inch are a bit much to man handle.
The Sky Hook is allso great for swapping heavy items on my mill. I have several vices too, and a heavy 12 inch rotary table thats about 200lbs with a chuck mounted. Allso great for picking up heavy items from a lift cart to the mill table , or Lathe chuck.
I dont lift anything heavy anymore,,Between the lift cart, and the Sky Hook, they do all of that these days..
The one thing I love about the sky hook is to lift, is a one handed deal, even to lower a load, it is still one handed..They also have a auto-brake, so no run away loads to come crashing down.. These are the best crane ive ever used.

Paul

Paul,

Sounds like just what I need to remove the motors and other things from a milling machine.

How expensive are they new? I suppose I could try to find one on Craig's list or on Ebay used too.

Thanks,

Nelson

Hi Nelson

I didnt buy mine new, I got mine from another board member that had a ove head crane. They are pricey, Ive seen them for between 6 and 7 hundred bucks brand new. I didnt get a screamin deal like 20 bucks, I paid 250.00 for mine.

The nice thing with a Sky Hook is the lift height is very percise, if you need it up or down say 1/4 inch to line up that chuck , or what ever, it will do it. And at 23lbs, you can scoop it up in one hand to move it, and can be hung up on a wall to store it.

I allso bolt it to my lift cart, takes seconds to install. I use it to get heavy items out of my car when needed. I just lifted a 15 hp motor out of the trunk of my car. The motor was dropped in there with a fork lift, but the sky hook makes easy work of that. I used to use a cherry picker for many lifting jobs, and I find I have no use for that now, and will be up for sale on Kijiji or Craigslist soon.

There is guys that have built a simular crane using a winch designed to pull a boat on the trailer, but I see that type needing 3-hands to operate, and the danger of a run away load.
The electric winches are much too fast on the desent as well..
After using one of these, I think if I couldnt find one used, I would pay the long dollar for a new one, they are that good!

Shadow
Nice looking rig, I like the try to hold the chucks too. I wish I had that much space around my lathe.

A bit off topic, but your dog looks much like the one I used to have. Is yours a Pit Bull? Best darned dog I ever had!

Paul

shadow link=topic=1688.msg10393#msg10393 date=1302802634 said:
Not the best picture but what it is is a stand for the chucks with a pipe jib crane with bearing trolly running on a steel tube with a chain binder for the lift bolted to the bed and headstock of the lathe. all the chucks are drilled and tapped for an eye bolt.

this is the Mazak at the workshop.
hr9.jpg

here is a better picture.

lathecrane.jpg

8ntsane link=topic=1688.msg10391#msg10391 date=1302801510 said:
Hi Nelson

I didnt buy mine new, I got mine from another board member that had a ove head crane. They are pricey, Ive seen them for between 6 and 7 hundred bucks brand new. I didnt get a screamin deal like 20 bucks, I paid 250.00 for mine.

The nice thing with a Sky Hook is the lift height is very percise, if you need it up or down say 1/4 inch to line up that chuck , or what ever, it will do it. And at 23lbs, you can scoop it up in one hand to move it, and can be hung up on a wall to store it.

I allso bolt it to my lift cart, takes seconds to install. I use it to get heavy items out of my car when needed. I just lifted a 15 hp motor out of the trunk of my car. The motor was dropped in there with a fork lift, but the sky hook makes easy work of that. I used to use a cherry picker for many lifting jobs, and I find I have no use for that now, and will be up for sale on Kijiji or Craigslist soon.

There is guys that have built a simular crane using a winch designed to pull a boat on the trailer, but I see that type needing 3-hands to operate, and the danger of a run away load.
The electric winches are much too fast on the desent as well..
After using one of these, I think if I couldnt find one used, I would pay the long dollar for a new one, they are that good!

Paul,

That is a rousing endorsement. I have a tiny home shop in my basement and work alone. I need one of those. I will keep my eyes open for one on Craig's - at 23 pounds, it won't cost that much to ship. It's not the tooling for my SB Heavy 10 that I need it for, though the tailstock turret weighs about 80 pounds or so, it's removing parts of machines for maintenance that it will really help with.

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's pictures of one I built to change out chucks as well as load material onto the lathe. I also made one for the mill, too.
Ken

100_0998.JPG 100_0993.JPG

Back