[How-To] Hold a knurled part in a lathe chuck?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have had parts that I need to knurl first in the order of operations then need to hold them in the chuck to do more work on it and not damage the knurling.

I have been using layers of paper towel wrapped with a thin brass piece and it works fairly well, sometimes need to adjust if it is not centered well,

Is there something else to wrap with or a different method?

Collets are you friend.

View attachment 444405
I just had a thought: I wonder if I could 3D print ER32 collets? They wouldn’t be super accurate, but maybe as good as a 3-jaw with Aluminum can shim. Alternatively, machined from Acetal/Delrin could be a good crowdfunding opportunity, with maybe a 6mm through hole that could be machined to suit.

^^^ That reminds me, in my tool makers clamp kits I provide a short piece of 1/2" copper water pipe. The pipe is to be split and used to protect the knurled portion of the screws while the threads are cut.

1681347012043.png

I just had a thought: I wonder if I could 3D print ER32 collets? They wouldn’t be super accurate, but maybe as good as a 3-jaw with Aluminum can shim. Alternatively, machined from Acetal/Delrin could be a good crowdfunding opportunity, with maybe a 6mm through hole that could be machined to suit.
Yes, you can print 3d ER32 collets
For goofs, i printed 1 hexagonal collet, 5/16” and 1 square 3/8” collet
Both were found on thingyverse

Back