Holding cylindrical material in standard vise project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
It seems I often have use for some vee blocks to hold cylindrical materials of various sizes in the mill vise.
I have several vee blocks but sometimes they just are not what is needed especially for round pieces
not particularly tall. Yesterday I made one block and today I made a second one but not without a bit
of difficulty. To make the blocks the same required milling both blocks at an angle in one setup for one
side and then another setup for the remaining faces. Needless to say, the blocks did get a little smaller
in all dimensions as I was truing them up but at least now they hold various pieces of work easily.

P1030854.JPG
Some time ago I made various angle blocks and they came in handy to set up the work in this case. I decided to use the 15 degree ones.P1030853.JPG
I had to shim the rectangular blocks up a bit for obvious reasons.
P1030855.JPG
This is the basic configuration for milling on a disc.

P1030852.JPG
These vee blocks will work for up to 12 inch diameter clamping. That will require using a bigger vise possibly. This DX6 Crossover vise
will handle up to 8 inch discs while using these clamps. For smaller diameter and longer rods, it will work for diameters down to 3/4 inch.

Making one vee block was easy but making a pair required a lot more effort to get the dimensions the same on both pieces. That made my
"What did you do in the shop today?" a two day event. I think it was worth it.

Back