Holding V-Block at angle with limited tooling

AmericanMachinist

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I'm making a fly cutter. 3/4" shank, 1-3/8" body, and will use a 1/4" HSS bit.

How would you hold this V-block at about 10 degrees (angle not critical) to mill a 1/4" slot and cut clearance for screws?

Orienting at an angle in the "drill" style vise didn't work out well, and for the facing operation I re-positioned it as shown in the 2nd image, to use the side of the end mill. That worked alright.

Screenshot_20200904-001452_Gallery.jpg

Now I need to cut the slot for the bit and a relieved face for set screws.

I didn't try it tonight but I'm thinking perhaps set up 123 blocks as an angle plate and try to clamp to the 123 blocks with the b-block turned 10 degrees.

The other option I can think of - though I don't currently have the tooling, is to leave the part positioned as-is, and cut the slot with a 1/4" slitting saw. And cut the relief for the set screws with the end mill as shown in the photo. I think I prefer this option in terms of confidence in the setup not moving, but would appreciate any suggestions or other ideas. Thank you!

Screenshot_20200904-001505_Gallery.jpg

Step #1 Get a decent/milling vise.
Step #2 As in your first picture lose the V-block clamps and rotate the v-block and part 90 degrees so that the v-block is against the stationary vise jaw and the shaft of the part being machined is against the movable vise jaw.
Step #3 Orient your angle and mill away.

That is how I did mine and all worked quite well.

Back