Hole measurement using telescopic gauges

jackofall

Registered
Registered
Greetings,

I have questions concerning telescoping hole gauges.
Is it better to measure hole diameter when it is dry, or lubricated with a light lubricant?
Also what type of lube is best to lubricate the gauges mechanism, if any?

Thanks,

Others may have a different opinion I'd like to hear them too??
I have always used mine in a dry hole with the exception of a few holes that already had some sort of oil/lubricant on them which I generally wiped the most of out if possible. I would think that a lubricant would possibly decrease the sensitivity of feeling the resistance but maybe not. Either way would likely work.
Most precision measuring tools only require once in a lifetime oiling generally if kept out of humid conditions, otherwise a very light gun type oil unless you can get precision lube which is not always so readily available. Oils in precision instruments tend to gum them up and reduce their precision over time. I have considered silicon and graphite lubricants but would like to hear more on the subject myself.

~Chris

i always just wipe the hole clean and dry before using telescoping gauges....

i like to use inside mics if at all possible, and the only telescoping gauges i rely on are name brand..

on oiling the telescoping gauges, i only use starrett oil on my precision tools..

Back