Home made index head.

Shaft at .751 and my paper barrel of chips. Think i am going to use my shaper to put in the keyway. I can do it 5 different ways but i want to try that...Bob

shaft1.jpg shaft chips.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the main shaft fitted to the GB. The bore of the GB was full of cosmoline so i had to clean it out. Then i bored the plate that holds the drilled division plates and fitted it with an oillite bushing and left a .600 nose to keep the plates centered. I have to drill and countersink 2 holes in each division plate as well as thread the main spindle 1 1/2-8 for my chuck. Pics tonight...

Here are some parts. Keyways still need to be cut in both shafts. The big main shaft still needs threaded and i need to make a locking collar for the back side. The small shaft is the drive end where the crank and plates will be. It needs a keyway and flats put on it. The big sq plate holds that driver shaft. It has a bushing so the shaft turns nice plus the division plates fit onto the nose of it. The plates need drilled for 2 holes to hold them to the sq plate. Quite a day of working at it...Bob

parts.jpg parts1.jpg parts2.jpg parts3.jpg

author=aametalmaster link=topic=412.msg1434#msg1434 date=1291692454
I can't feel any. I know when using one you always go in the same direction prob because if any backlash...Bob
And so the chuck doesn't unscrew...Bob

Well i drilled and countersunk all 4 plates and got the 3/4" sq plate drilled and tapped for them to bolt to. My new counterbore got dull and i sharpened it with a file to get done. It said on the package either made in china or the USA let me guess. It took quite a while to fit all 4 plates and make sure they were right.
I also cut a 3/16" keyway on the drive shaft using my shaper. I haven't done too many that way but it worked well. I ordered a 3/16" endmill to cut the keyway in the spindle shaft because i wanted a keyway in the middle of the shaft. I will cut it with my lathe when the endmill comes in. Tonight i will thread the 1 1/2-8 spindle. Wow the tapping fluid got too me time to find something less potent...Bob

keyway.jpg plates bolted.jpg

Your doing a great job on that indering head, I'll be looking for the finished product bshould be nice.

Paul

Spindle threaded 1 1/2"-8. And a built in center. Someday i will bore it out for a shortened #2MT dead center...Bob

spindle2.jpg

Thanks. On my way to the dungeon to make the sector arms and handle parts. I will add a spindle brake prob on that thick part i left on the spindle. I also need to make a lock collar to hold the spindle in and i have changed my mind at least 10 times. Then add a keyway in the main spindle and its about done...Bob

Looking good Bob really interesting project. Be waiting for another installment!

Paul

I cut the 3/16" keyway in the main shaft tonight but my camera is Christmas shopping so pics later. I also ordered myself a 4" 3 jaw chuck and will start on a backplate late tomorrow night...Bob

Back