Home Made Lathe Omg

great white

Active User
Registered
if it works, it works.

On the plus side, he'll never have to worry about getting parts for it!

:)

The drill press he was using was also interesting....I'm guessing a walk through his shop would be interesting.....

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Molten metal + sandals + shorts = disaster waiting to happen.:chemist:

tomh

Registered
Registered
Molten metal + sandals + shorts = disaster waiting to happen.:chemist:

ROLMAO yeah I saw that to and thought He will catch hell for that.
MY dad had a small foundry just under a city block size so NO you wont catch me doing that LOL
But isn't it amazing what some folks see in a pile of scrap.
But on the other hand some folks love flirting with disaster, you know here hold my beer bob:devil:The drill press he was using was also interesting....I'm guessing a walk through his shop would be interesting.....:encourage:

Last edited:

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Aside from the cringe worthy safety issues, that's excellent work. I didn't see any precision measuring equipment in evidence, so I do wonder if he takes the "cut, try to fit, cut, try to fit" route. Most of the machines look homemade, and at the very least, usable. And a usable tool lets you refine your tools. I'm surprised he hasn't built the "engine block universal machine" yet. I would. Uses engine blocks as the bed and column/headstock. The bores of the cylinders on the headstock/column are used for the spindle. It can be used as a lathe (imagine getting another 5-6" of swing by simply moving your spindle to a higher bore!), a horizontal milling machine, and with some structural tubing bolted to the column to hold a spindle, a vertical mill.

Kudos to him for making usable machines out of scrap. Makes you wander out to your shop, see all the mass-produced stuff, and say, 'Wow. I got it easy!'

tomh

Registered
Registered
The lathe must work pretty good as he uses it to make parts for his tractor, which is down rite amazing to say the least!!
like you I would love to see his shop in action and it appears that he is Fairley young also.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
It demonstrates the difference between the accuracy actually needed to make something work, and the accuracy some people think is needed to make anything work!
I'm reminded of what I've heard was a motto of the Russian arms industry (possibly originated during WW2) - perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Especially liked the way this guy made use of scrap-yard parts like old motorcycle and other(?) transmissions. Wonder how he got the lathe bed rods and the cross slide rods parallel???

hermetic

Active User
Registered
he will have put the saddle on to the bed rods (motorcyclr fork legs

he will have put the saddle on to the bed tubes (motorcycle fork legs) and then fixed them at either end, so that the bushings on the saddle held them parralell . I built a little machine for my brothers leather business which cut a v notch in e piece of leather to fold box corners, and used two round bars for it to slide on. I did it the same way. I will try to get a pic of it and post it up.

hermetic

Active User
Registered
This is the device I meant uses the same two long parallel bars. You slide the handle along and it "skives" a 90 deg slot in the surface of a piece of leather which is then filled with glue and a corner formed. used for making cases. Unfortunately he seems to have neglected it a little!
Phil

IMGP1390.JPG

easttex

Registered
Registered
I went to his YouTube channel this morning it looks like he's in Ukraine. I'm sure he's lacking access to proper tools and education and making do as best he can. I've got to hand it to him for being this creative though. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hermetic

Active User
Registered
. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

Well I know where you are coming from, but how many people do you know, who, having had access to real equipment and training, would go on to make their own equipment without the use or availability of a lathe! I think sometimes the burning desire to do something overcomes all obstacles and achieves that end, whereas the training would tend to convince the trainee that it couldn't be done accurately enough to be usefull, which is obviously wrong!

Phil

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
Thanks for sharing .

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
What we have in this video is almost a demonstration of the old adage that the lathe is the only tool that can be used to reproduce all its own parts. Thanks again, tomh, for posting it!

63redtudor

Registered
Registered
Having been to several 3rd world countries its actually impressive at what people with nothing can make. Deffinately not the safest way to do things however! Unfortunately what I have seen (also in 3rd world countries) is the way people can come up with way to kill each other. :chagrin:
I see similar things with older, depression-era made tools. Much of my lathe tooling was made by my grandfather who grew up in that era. I also have a power-hacksaw from that era and while it can (and eventually I hope to) be improved, it works and thats the main thing. At the begining of most of my 'how to run a lathe' books there's a comment that's basically along the lines of - "work holding and/or tooling has more to do with the skill and imagination of the operator..."

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I went to his YouTube channel this morning it looks like he's in Ukraine. I'm sure he's lacking access to proper tools and education and making do as best he can. I've got to hand it to him for being this creative though. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

He might lack access to sophisticated tools, but i suspect he has had some formal training, possibly in the military, He obviously knows how to go about what he needs to do, and is familiar with how machines work.. Nonetheless a most amazing achievement with much made from little.

I take my hat off to him, a true achiever.

dlane

Active User
Registered
I'm impressed,
Home made mill, surface grinder, lathe's
Bet there's more,
I'm guessing he started off welding and the fabrication continued .

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
Noticed the person also used the shopmade lathe to “climb mill”!
That shop made lathe / mill must be pretty tight the way he is climb milling on it , no sign of chatter or grabbing.

FOMOGO

Active User
Pretty inspiring video, thanks for posting Tom. Also what makes us the most dangerous animal on the planet, and as noted above we are awfully good at using it against each other. Just imagine what an amazing world we could have if we all worked together toward common goals. Kinda like this forum, but on a much grander scale. Well, I 'm going to hold onto that thought, and continue to ignore the "news". Cheers, Mike

wildo

Registered
Registered
This video series reminds me of a book series (that I don't own- it's in my amazon wish list!) called "Build Your Own Metalworking Shop From Scrap" by David Gingery. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1878087355/

Some of you might already have it. Some of you might enjoy it if you don't have it already. And some of you might wish for it (like I do) and put it on a list somewhere...

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
I saw some plastic calipers when he was making his aluminium donut in the 1st. And some steel verniers in the 4th. Interestingly he improved on the tool post design on his smaller lathe

Cheers Phil

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Found this by accident while surfing utube. If you watch all 6 parts you will be amazed what some people will see in a pile of scrap and what their imagination can do, as they don't see problems they see solutions.
safety Nazis beware!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-As4...
I sa that guys videos and watched all of them a while back. He's a skilled craftsman. Makes one realize how good we have things in the USA. In some parts of the world... Finding a used lathe requires a father-in law who is a high ranking Politburo Official.

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I watched the casting video and the lathe assembly video and was impressed with his dogged perseverance to build a lathe
out of what he had at hand. I wouldn't be too quick to judge him by his apparel.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock