Home-made Milling Machine for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
it would certainly be better than no mill. Looks pretty well thought out and constructed, even if it's pretty lightweight. Much bigger work envelope than a mini mill and probably about the same rigidity.
You want to know why it looks unused?

It has linear bearings on the knee and god knows what everywhere else.

Short of that table weighing 600lbs, its going to chatter like the devil in an ice cave first time the endmill makes contact with the work.

ETA: just found the rest of the pics, its worse than I thought.

If Im seeing things correctly half of the cheap X-Y table is unsupported.

Its going to ring like a bell.

You want to know why it looks unused?

It has linear bearings on the knee and god knows what everywhere else.

Short of that table weighing 600lbs, its going to chatter like the devil in an ice cave first time the endmill makes contact with the work.

ETA: just found the rest of the pics, its worse than I thought.

If Im seeing things correctly half of the cheap X-Y table is unsupported.

Its going to ring like a bell.

To be honest, I don't really care much, I'm not going to buy it. But if all I had was a drill press as a mill I'd buy it for $400 until something better came along.

Not sure why people have the need to put down other people's work. Does it make you feel better about yourself? Most of the time it comes across as snobbery. No one's doubting that a Bridgeport would be better, but it's also only $400 and a heck of a lot easier to move than a BP. Maybe you can show us some of you large scale projects and we can critique them in the same way you feel free to critique this one?

To be honest, I don't really care much, I'm not going to buy it. But if all I had was a drill press as a mill I'd buy it for $400 until something better came along.

Not sure why people have the need to put down other people's work. Does it make you feel better about yourself? Most of the time it comes across as snobbery. No one's doubting that a Bridgeport would be better, but it's also only $400 and a heck of a lot easier to move than a BP. Maybe you can show us some of you large scale projects and we can critique them in the same way you feel free to critique this one?
You seem like you care quite a bit, no need to take things personal.

You can easily find and critique my work right here on this board if you choose. In fact, Id encourage anyone to point out the flaws in my work as it is how we learn, and at 55 I'm far from done learning.

What makes me "feel better" about myself is trying to prevent people from buying an absolute piece of crap that will not serve them well, nor have any resale value and could very well be hazardous to use.

Maybe good advise is less important than feelings for some, simply puzzled by your response to this.

As far as needing a Bridgeport.

Last edited:
Yea, some of my stuff doesn't look engineered but rather rinky dinked. But for sure, A for effort on the mill even if NASA won't come knocking.

You seem like you care quite a bit, no need to take things personal.

You can easily find and critique my work right here on this board if you choose. In fact, Id encourage anyone to point out the flaws in my work as it is how we learn, and at 55 I'm far from done learning.

What makes me "feel better" about myself is trying to prevent people from buying an absolute piece of crap that will not serve them well, nor have any resale value and could very well be hazardous to use.

Maybe good advise is less important than feelings for some, simply puzzled by your response to this.

As far as needing a Bridgeport.
I care about the "climate" of this place - another forum I frequent has been ruined by armchair machinists criticising everything and anything to death. I wouldn't want to see that happen here.

I don't think you're really doing anyone a favour with your "advice" - it's pretty obvious what sort of mill this is and I doubt you're preventing anyone from buying it thinking they're getting a "real" mill. But to flip that on its head, how do you know how this mill would perform? Have you tested it or used one with a similar construction. I have and I can tell you that the one listed would probably do a half decent job within it's relatively small limits.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that quality output in projects came from the machinist, not the machines he had available for use.
$400 is just a drop in the bucket for any mill in my thinking.
Dave

I care about the "climate" of this place - another forum I frequent has been ruined by armchair machinists criticising everything and anything to death. I wouldn't want to see that happen here.

I don't think you're really doing anyone a favour with your "advice" - it's pretty obvious what sort of mill this is and I doubt you're preventing anyone from buying it thinking they're getting a "real" mill. But to flip that on its head, how do you know how this mill would perform? Have you tested it or used one with a similar construction. I have and I can tell you that the one listed would probably do a half decent job within it's relatively small limits.
:D

Your swimming upstream judging by the reply’s so far, and what you don’t know about me is that I make production assembly fixtures for a living.

So yeah, I know the components and can tell just by looking at it how poorly it will perform.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back