Home made sheet metal Lathe way covers

Davo J

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I made these covers up for my lathe to stop the chips getting on the ways and the lead screw, I wasn't sure if they were a good idea because they might get in the way.

After being on for about 2 1/2 years they have worked great, the only modification has been to cut the one on the saddle back 20mm to allow it to come a little closer to the head stock.

The saddle one is attached with 2 top screws that attach the standard way wiper's so no extra holes. I bent up and mig welded the 2 sheet metal plates together, it about 0.5mm thick.Under the ends of the cover that might touch the ways I glued some rubber inner tube to stop the steel touching on the ways if pushed down.
The lead screw cover is attached with 2 screws into the gap bed. The 2 holes were there already for the US style carriage that has the rack on the gap. They were puttied/bogged over. It is made up of 2 sheet metal plates 0.5mm thick welded together.

The tray underneath the chuck just sits there in between the ways and makes it easy to empty the chips into the garbage. It also stops the hassle of trying to get the chips from around the gap bolts and out of the socket head bolts that bolt it down.
Clean up time on the lathe ways have been cut by around 75%.-90% on jobs near the chuck.

Dave

Picture167Medium.jpg

Picture169Medium.jpg

Picture168Medium.jpg

Picture167Medium.jpg Picture169Medium.jpg Picture168Medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea. Did your lathe come with the sheet metal tray right under the chuck between the ways or is that part of what you made? I think that would work well on my lathe. The work on the part attached to the carriage looks great.

Jeff

Thanks, I made the tray under the chuck as well. Having these on means that most times nothing gets on the ways, as they are under the cutting tool and only take a quick vacuum and it's clean again.
I made the piece on the carriage so it would not limit anything, but if I am using the face plate and I take it off as I cant get close enough, and then I realise how well they work when I have to clean up the mess with out it on.

I would highly recommend them.

Dave

Great idea Dave! Now I need to make a cover and tray for my lathe.

Your lathe looks a lot like mine, except your thread engaement lever is on the left side of the carriage whereas mine is on the right. Is your lathe right hand drive?

John:D

Yep, mine is right hand drive, LOL
I have had it for around 7-8 years and it passed every test I gave it. It still turns true and accurate.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, they can be made to suit any lathe. I just used sheet metal that is the same thickness as roofing iron, I think it's around 0.7-0.9mm thick.

Sorry Dave they are promised to a member on another forum. I am going to make up some aluminium ones because I have a magnetic pick up tool and it will be easier with out steel.

I would recommend this to others as well if they have a magnetic tool, but welding thin aluminium is a lot harder than steel, unless you pop rivet it together.

Dave

Back