Homemade slide hammer

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I started this with what I had on hand, you know, "necessity is the motherhood of butchery" You'll see in the picture, anyway I was gifted a scrap bar that I'm making a new hammer for.
I have read about oil blackening, and 1 method was to heat, and oil quench, the other was to saturate, and oven/furnace heat, this method is touted as giving better coloring. My question on the latter is,,,, will laying on a grill, or foil leave impressions to the blackening of the metal pieces, do you turn the pieces during the process?

Here are the results, I heated it up to a dull glow(separately), and put it in a pan of waste oil. I then put another pan over it so it would not become a conflagration episode. I have been told that once it had cooled to get it glowing again, and that would have an effect on hardness. I'm not seeing that mentioned in my research. The tool is out of my possession now so unless there is some dramatic change I guess it's done.

Looks good, just be sure to keep the soft meat between your thump and first finger out from between the knob on the end and the slide! Don't ask how I know that.

Experience is something you get,,,right after you needed it :) I'm hoping the user keeps his thumbs where they belong

Back