Honda Shadow using an Odyessy Battery

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had to again replace a standard wet cell battery this month. Short life and even shorter warranty. I looked around and saw there was still no AGM that was a direct fit. I then looked at Lithium but still a bit untested at this time. Too few users other than in cars, and being aftermarket just not sure about build quality.

So I settled on Odyessy Batteries and selected a PC310. It is not a direct fit but I made it work.

Did a trial fit and other than being much shorter and a bit thicker there is no real reason not to use it.
1. I had to remount the regulator mounting bracket from the rear of the battery holddown clamp to the front. to make a bit of room and still have rubber pads to press against the battery case. I welded the two brackets together.

2. I then had to make a spacer to lift the battery up to get to the right height for the wires and the before mentioned rubber pads. A piece of stiff foam did the trick there.

3. The only remaining issue is the wire mounting. It comes with .250" push on wire terminals and they are in the middle of the top surface. So this was the a milling job which was the quickest way to make them. I therefore made up a couple terminal extensions out of square copper scrap. I did put in a piece of fiberglass board going from terminal to terminal to keep them from rotating with vibrations from engine and road surface.

Of course now that it is all done the rains have come back and the temps have dropped, should clear this afternoon and hope to go for more riding.
Pierre

Installed.jpg Size-comparison.jpg Terminal-extensions.jpg

The frame looks the same as my '83 VT750C. When I got it, they told me they had put a new battery in it the previous summer and had tried to start the bike. No joy, so they put it away without charging it. I figured I'd need a new one, but what the hey? Time on the charger and it's worked well for several seasons now.

Good thing, too, considering the weird T-shape of the 'right' ones.

BTW, it didn't start because the brushes were completely dust - nothing left.

A friend has a V45 Magna. It has problems with the regulator. They fail all the time. Big bucks to replace as they are hard to find. I suggested to replace with an external automotive version. A lot more reliable in the long run.
As for the battery, I have added distilled water and used Battery Tender and serviced it religiously but they just do not hold up more than a couple years. Whether it is a CT version or Honda replacement, same life span.
Pierre

Those odyessy batteries are awesome! Kept buying new batteries every year for my ducati. Bought an odyessy battery 3 years ago and havent looked back. It is well worth adapting your battery case and moving the regulator to fit it!

Ben

Back