Honey, I'd like to replace the sink in the kitchen

One of the problems with a built-in kitchen is dealing with replacement appliances. Appliances have a finite lifetime. This is seldom considered when remodeling. We designed our kitchen around a specific line of appliances and should one fail, the chance of finding a replacement that was remotely close to matching the existing appliances is somewhat less than finding a $100 bill on the sidewalk in New York City. We went the extra mile on our kitchen when my wife ordered replacement pulls from the appliance manufacturer to match those on the appliance suite for our pull out larder units. They look great but when the refrigerator goes belly up, the difference will be glaring.
Kitchen 1 .JPG

Another issue came up when our front load washer failed. The washer and dryer are stacked and located in a fairly tight fitting alcove. I purposely left about four inches of head room above and widths are somewhat standardized so that was good. The problem that arose is that the drier exhaust outlet was offset by sweveral inches. On the original build, the vent was a straight shot through an outside wall which was great for efficiency. With only a couple of inches to play, though, I now had to make some custom ductwork to allow for the offset.

Fitting the new stack was challenging as well. I used a pair of woodworking clamps set up for expansion mode and using an opposing door jamb as an anchor and pushed the stack in place for a trial fit. Then I had to pull the stack back out to make some adjustments , accomplished with a rope around the base of the stack and a come along. The final installation was done with me outside guiding the ductwork into position and my wife working the clamps to push the stack home.

Our appliances are 17 years old and so far, fingers crossed, still working. I dread the day when one of them fails. If they make it another twenty years, I'm good because I will either be in my grave or too old to care.

We have been putting it off, but we have to get the line cleaned out 1-2x a year. Finally got a video run down the line earlier this year, good news is it is not in eminent danger of collapse, but there are tons of places where the pipe has shifted and roots get in. We got a quote for $9000, not great but I was afraid it would be more. I could probably get a Hardinge for $9000... then again I do like having poop leave the house. ;)

Projects where you can see your handiwork afterwards are a lot more fun.

I've seen homeowners gleefully pay insane amounts for visible house purchases (cabinets, drapery, furniture) but pitch a fit when I quote them $9000 for a sewer line replacement.

I've seen homeowners gleefully pay insane amounts for visible house purchases (cabinets, drapery, furniture) but pitch a fit when I quote them $9000 for a sewer line replacement.

No one can see it, but it is one of those essentials. But they will pitch a fit even more if everything backs up into the house.

A lot of people don't seem to appreciate labor. I do a lot of my own work on my cars and the house. When I'm paying somebody to do work, it is usually because I lack the skills / tools, don't have the time or simply don't want to do it. I appreciate being able to pay somebody who can / will do it for me.

No one can see it, but it is one of those essentials. But they will pitch a fit even more if everything backs up into the house.

Therefore I sit back and let them decide. Or, plenty of work out there, we just move onto the next customer.

Back