Horizontal vs Vertical Compressor and Tank

Anyone mount their compressor separate from the tank? Why/Why not?

I would think most of us here are small home shops that buy a unit with the compressor mounted on the tank.
Offhand, people might split it up to fit in a specific space, or to put the compressor in a sound-deadening enclosure. And then there are the people who cobble something together with stuff they make and/or buy, so the compressor may not be readily able to mount on the tank.

Eastwood sells a 'gas tank sealer' kit. I believe this could help preserve air tanks as well. In my business there have been many air tanks both vertical & horizontal that are out in the elements & only drained once a month. Somehow failures were not catastrophic. I've disposed of a 120 gallon horizontal tank right into my garage. It is clean in & out. It is 1/4" thick wall. It will make a great shop compressor tank!

Which did you find:
-a 120 gallon horizontal air tank with 1/4 thick wall
or
-a 120 gallon horizontal tank with 1/4 thick wall that you are going to use as an air tank

But the coating by the vendor costs more than the tank.

Eastwood sells a 'gas tank sealer' kit. I believe this could help preserve air tanks as well. In my business there have been many air tanks both vertical & horizontal that are out in the elements & only drained once a month. Somehow failures were not catastrophic. I've disposed of a 120 gallon horizontal tank right into my garage. It is clean in & out. It is 1/4" thick wall. It will make a great shop compressor tank!

I checked with several places that make gas tank sealers, Most of them were NOT water proof. I did call Eastwood and they said that their gas tank sealer kit would be diffivult to use but it would work on a compressor air tank. and seal the inside from future water contact. Part of the kit is a chemical rust remover to get the existing rust out of the tank before sealing it.

Yep, & not too cheap either. 1 kit is good for a 20 gallon tank. So the price ads up.

Look up steam locomotive explosions, makes an air compressor look like a fire cracker...think of a 200,000 pound chunk of iron flying throuh the air a half mile.

Back