Resolved Hot Links to H-M vs Ad Blocker

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Greetings,

I run an ad blocker and it's moot (normally) on H-M because of my Diamond membership. Win 10, Chrome.

Please follow:
I'm reading thread "A".
Thread "A" contains a reply which includes a hot link to an H-M thread "B".
I click the hot link and it opens thread "B" in the same tab and the "AdBlock Detected" dialog box (is that what it's called?) stops me in my tracks.

My complaint:
I would prefer that the hot link would open in a new tab, so leave thread "A" tab alone. I can solve the problem by right clicking on the hot link and selecting "Open in a new tab" but I would prefer if a new tab was the default.
More importantly, that damn "AdBlock Detected" stops me again in the new tab, or a new window, or if I copy the URL to a new tab.

When clicking a hot-link to a H-M thread, can't the software check the permissions of the member before throwing up the "AdBlock Detected"?
If I'm logged into H-M as a Diamond member, shouldn't I be able to follow hot links to other H-M threads without being caught by a snare trap or going through a bunch of gymnastics to find the exact name of the hot linked thread then searching H-M to find it?

Am I doing something wrong or is there a simple technique I need to learn?

vBulletin used to have this issue. I have not heard of anyone reporting this issue since we moved to Xenforo. With vB, if you were logged into the site say as "www.exampleforum.com", if you visited a link without the www, say as "exampleforum.com", it would sometimes show you as not logged in. The workaround was to log into both addresses, with the www & without.

Could you provide the link as an example where you are experiencing this?

Upvote 0
It has happened in multiple places. It took me quite a while decide to beef about it.
The latest was In the following thread, in reply #4, I clicked RJSakowski's link.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the example. Hmm, that's strange, happens to me also. No idea what's going on there. Hopefully Byran @vtcnc can figure it out.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I just copied and pasted the URL from the Lathe DRO thread and it shows above as a box with the opening text.
In Sakowskie's reply, the hot link shows as blue text (no box).

When I click on the link (box above) it opens in this tab but "AdBlocker Detected" doesn't show up.

Upvote 0
I just noticed those links exclude "https://", if you add that to the url you won't have the issue. My guess is it has something to do with the age of the posts, ie created before we migrated to XF?

Upvote 0
Greetings,

I run an ad blocker and it's moot (normally) on H-M because of my Diamond membership. Win 10, Chrome.

Please follow:
I'm reading thread "A".
Thread "A" contains a reply which includes a hot link to an H-M thread "B".
I click the hot link and it opens thread "B" in the same tab and the "AdBlock Detected" dialog box (is that what it's called?) stops me in my tracks.

My complaint:
I would prefer that the hot link would open in a new tab, so leave thread "A" tab alone. I can solve the problem by right clicking on the hot link and selecting "Open in a new tab" but I would prefer if a new tab was the default.
More importantly, that damn "AdBlock Detected" stops me again in the new tab, or a new window, or if I copy the URL to a new tab.

When clicking a hot-link to a H-M thread, can't the software check the permissions of the member before throwing up the "AdBlock Detected"?
If I'm logged into H-M as a Diamond member, shouldn't I be able to follow hot links to other H-M threads without being caught by a snare trap or going through a bunch of gymnastics to find the exact name of the hot linked thread then searching H-M to find it?

Am I doing something wrong or is there a simple technique I need to learn?

Evening,

No something is wrong. I’ll look into it. Can you PM the thread with the hot-link to me?

Thanks,
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Scratch that. Saw your reply with the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
It has happened in multiple places. It took me quite a while decide to beef about it.
The latest was In the following thread, in reply #4, I clicked RJSakowski's link.

When I click on the RJ link I get this:

1620816650097.png

I just want to be clear that this is not Ad Blocker. Just because you see ads doesn't imply it is related. I believe it is the https vs. http url syntax. When switching from https to http, the cookie that keeps you logged in chokes and essentially logs you out of the site. I need to do a little more research to figure out the fix without imposing all kinds of new rules, tips and tricks for hyperlinking. I'm sure it is something in the config file or in the cookie itself that we can tinker with.

Upvote 0
vBulletin used to have this issue. I have not heard of anyone reporting this issue since we moved to Xenforo. With vB, if you were logged into the site say as "www.exampleforum.com", if you visited a link without the www, say as "exampleforum.com", it would sometimes show you as not logged in. The workaround was to log into both addresses, with the www & without.

Could you provide the link as an example where you are experiencing this?
Will, you are correct. I forget the correct language to use here to describe the problem but it has to do with the cookies and the url security.

Upvote 0
Back