How Are Slotted Keyways Squared Off?

A shaper could do what you are looking for, but the reward would not be what you want. The radius at the end of the slot serves to spread the force on the slot (torque from whatever the shaft is powering) over a larger area. Square corners promote cracking and failure of the shaft.

An example of what I'm on about. How would one get rid of the sloping metal so that the slot is perfectly cuboid?

I've been tryin to suss this problem and have no idea.

The item in your picture was probably cut with a slotter rather than an end mill. Crescent keys http://www.roymech.co.uk/images/key_woodruff_1.gif are sold for that kind of keyway, or longer keyways/shorter keys are used.

Many keyways are cut with a shaper, which leaves a square end and a flat bottom.

But if you used an endmill, the slot would have a flat bottom and the end wouldn't have a slope, but would have a round termination.

When in doubt, googlit and youtubeit. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Without reading all these posts I would if needed just cut the keyway with and end mill long then weld in a piece of key to make the keyway the length needed. Good bevel, careful welding and leave the part over sized so it could be cleaned up in the lathe. This is of course if needed and allowable for the required part
Mark

Back