[How-To] How can I test this motor?

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Dataplate attached. I fear I have burned out something in this 3 phase motor, so I was hoping I could use a volt-meter to determine if I need to have it rewound. However, based on the dataplate, does anyone know what I would do? Presumably, I would want to run a resistance test between the individual coils, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which is which. I was hoping someone could give me a hand and figure out what the coils look like inside so I can verify them.

I've been looking over WYE and Delta drawings hoping that this is one of those motors that switches between them, but can't figure out how to get it to work.

Low Voltage:
Code:
4-5-6
7 8 9
| | |
1 2 3
| | |

That is, 4-5-6 wired together, 1&7 to T1, 2 and 8 to T2, 3 and 9 to T3

High Voltage:
Code:
4 5 6
| | |
7 8 9
1 2 3
| | |

That is, 4to 7, 8 to 5, 9 to 6. 1,2, and 3 to T1/T2/T3.

Attachments

• PXL_20210205_000433577(1).jpg
    PXL_20210205_000433577(1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
I would have hoped so, and didn't smell anything at the time, but my shop is so full of hydraulic oil now I can't be sure :)

Would it still smell just from running it?

I would have hoped so, and didn't smell anything at the time, but my shop is so full of hydraulic oil now I can't be sure :)

Would it still smell just from running it?
What does it do if you run it?

What does it do if you run it?
It SEEMS to run fine, but it is making seemingly less power than it was based on the hydraulic pressure. So here's the back story:

I ran my shaper off a static converter (one of those DPS solid state brand ones). It would build pressure fine/quickly, and would move pretty much right away.

I fixed a leak in the hydraulics,then clicked it on and tried to use the powerfeed motor (also 3 ph), and it worked, but then everything shut off. The phase converter looked fine (and was giving power), but neither motor would run. I looked at the GFCI looking-things in the shaper's electrical box and neither seemed to have tripped nor be in a resetable state.

BUT, neither motor would run.

About 5 minutes later though, the start switch worked, and it fired right up. I tried to move it and saw that the pressure seems to build more slowly, so it won't move right away.

Side note: In the 'after i fixed the leak' part, I didn't test to see what my pressure was at that point.

I fear it is either I blew a winding thanks to the Static converter, OR I got something odd going on in the hydraulics (which is why I am tearing it all apart, see my other thread :) ). I'm hoping it is something odd with the pump/filter that is easy to fix, but I'm going to pull that out today or so.

If the motors start and run, I do not see that you have a motor problem or a phase converter problem, but one thing is that a static phase converter is not going to give you anywhere near full motor horsepower.

I knew that about the static converter, so one of the things I have tried is a 20hp RPC, which now powers it with no change.

I used a static converter to power a 3 phase motor running without load and further balanced the voltages with a number of oil filled capacitors, works well, not as good as the real thing (3 phase power) but it powers all my tools at an acceptable level.

Welp, motor checked out good. I couldn't get to the 4-5-6 junction but the rest came apart and each expected branch ohmed the same (between 1,2, and 3 then 7,8,9 in pairs, so 1-3, 1-2,2-3, etc).

So not the motor :)

Back