Resolved How can I upload a PDF to DOWNLOAD Area

alan856

Registered
Registered
I have a PDF detailing how I added a VFD to a WEN 4249 drill press using the DC motor and electronics from a treadmill. However it says "PDF extension not allowed" - is there any way to make a PDF available for d/l?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your donation and for your request for assistance on navigating downloads. I'll point you to this link where our resident expert on the Downloads feature, @wa5cab, has done a nice write-up on how to navigate and upload downloads.

I will double check on allowed formats for posts. PDFs should be fine unless your file size is above 4MB.

Bryan

I'm reasonably familiar with up/downloading files. My pdf is 2.91 MB so should be within the size limit. The message I got was "incorrect extension for upload" - or to that effect. The file name is "Tricking out the WEN 4214.pdf". I had it on my web site (now down from hacking!) it was d/l'd almost 300 times... I'm hoping there is just a slight "anomaly" in your upload format checker! :)

I've checked your permissions, the resource manager (downloads) settings and any related media upload settings. All is in order. I'm guessing two things:

1) It's a hiccup/anomaly like you suggest - try again.
2) Something is up with the file name...but I can't imagine what that is judging from what you list here in this support ticket.

Maybe try again and see if it occurs again. The one thing I will say is that I too am familiar with uploading/downloading on member based websites. Unfortunately, the forum software is a little goofy for my taste. Make sure you read through Robert's write up I linked to previously so that you get a feel for how the forum software is structured. It is structured this way so donating members have media/download privileges and also keeps a tight rein on what gets in (hopefully nothing illegal - this is a family friendly site afterall)

Anyway, give it another try after reviewing his write-up. Something might jump out at you as obvious.

Bryan

All is well! I think I just need to tighten up the "nut on the keyboard!" LOL! I did try another run, and picked a more suitable category - and up it went. Sorry for the false alarm. :-(

=A.

All is well! I think I just need to tighten up the "nut on the keyboard!" LOL! I did try another run, and picked a more suitable category - and up it went. Sorry for the false alarm. :-(

=A.
It's all good! Glad it worked - I was running out of things to troubleshoot! :nail biter:

Side note, I double checked the Resource Manager settings. Downloads can be quite large - up to 1GB. Also, during a previously similar problem I had set the limit for attachments in thread posts to 4MB. I must have thought better of it at some point and bumped it up to 8MB.

And as a side note to the side note, one should in general not try to attach a manual or parts list to a post in a forum anyway. Attachments are for cases where the interest or usefulness is in general limited to the current thread. Anything with more general interest should be put in Downloads and then the url/link to it can be put into the post.

Back