How can one cut out a plug on a lathe? Just a parting tool?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a piece of stock that I'd like to use part of. Namely the outer part. Trying to make a collet wrench, using the thread "Operation spanner wrench". It seems almost criminal to bore out the center, turning it into curlicues. I'll do it, if I have to, but it just seems wrong to waste it. So is it possible to cut out the center with a parting like tool, but from the facing direction? Piece in question is a disk of 1144 steel, it's 3.75" in diameter by 1/2" thick. I'd like to cut out a 2.5" plug from the center. Maybe I can use the plug for something. Sure can't use the swarf for anything good.

Any suggestions on how t do this? I have 1/8" and 0.040" parting blades I could use, as well as HSS bits.

fairly easy with a rotary table on the mill...

For a lathe your parting blade will need two radii with relief on the OD and ID. Bit of a tricky thing to grind.

So all I need to do is make sure the non-cutting edges don't rub? No way am I going to grind a curved blade, that's far out of my feeble grinding skills. However, making the tool height shorter so the non-cutting edges don't foul, that's possible. Maybe this belongs in the tool grinding thread.

I think you are talking about trepanning. It is like a plug cutter. It cuts a ring out leaving a plug in the center. A parting tool that is only about 1/8" high from top to bottom would be able to do it from the front I think. Or grind the bottom of the tool to clear it from rubbing.

Roy

Trepanning/parting tools can't go all that deep - half inch might be pushing it. Hole saw requires drilling through the center, so you are left with something more like a bushing or washer than a slug. Annular cutters do pretty good, up to I think 1 1/2" or 2" deep. Pretty pricey though, and probably require an HP or two.

If you're setup is rigid enough you don't always need a center hole for a hole saw. A necessity tho if you're using one in a portable hand tool.

As a point of interest, this guy does trepanning ops on an epic scale:

93" deep!

You'll get away with a good hole saw. Chip clearance is always the biggest issue with deeper holes, but you'll be fine with 1/2 thick.

As a point of interest, this guy does trepanning ops on an epic scale:

93" deep!

You'll get away with a good hole saw. Chip clearance is always the biggest issue with deeper holes, but you'll be fine with 1/2 thick.
userwl2850 -Trepanning YouTube - YouTube shows how to make his trepanning tools as well.
I use a parting /grooving tool with the bottom of the tool below the blade ground for more clearance, can go about 6 mm deep. thicker stuff I turn around and cut from both sides. Need to make something better though. Deep cuts can be made with a hole saw and starting the cut by trepanning stops that unpiloted wander at the start of the cut. Bore to final size . At least you will have a usable slug.

You could make a tube type cutter but they are only good for one size.

This sounds almost childish, but on the mill (out in the field) you do what you got to do to get done. If it was me, I would spin the blank up and cut enough for a mark. Then, on the bench drill a circle of holes. The smaller the drill, the less waste. Face it, the blank is only a half inch or so thick. When cut inside the finished ID of the project, wallowing the drill will remove most of the span between drills. It then falls to a big hammer. . .

Grinding a specialty tool for one time use would be a waste of time to me. And in the time spent grinding the tool, you can have drilled all 137 holes and be done, , , at least that part. Simpler isn't always better, but time is a factor as well.

I'm partial to hole saws myself. And they will work in the tailstock without a center drill. But you gotta work slow, real slow. And having one near the right size does count. The cost of a couple of HF drills VS a decent hole saw makes it worthwhile to use the simplist solution.

Back