How did you achieve your dream workshop?

I'd like to have this hobby at least partially self supporting. What type of work did you do to fund the new tooling? Prototypes? Did you have some basic designs of your own that you created for sale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd like to have this hobby at least partially self supporting. What type of work did you do to fund the new tooling? Prototypes? Did you have some basic designs of your own that you created for sale?

My 'real' job is controls engineering and software development, this is what keeps food on the table. If a manufacturer has a big chunk of iron with a computer connected to it, I'll work on it. My machine shop is really there to support my machine design and fabrication for various applications.

Most of the machining I do is prototype or repair work for various customers. I also do some tool & die work because that is a lot of my background. I like the jobs that nobody else will touch. I know a lot of people that are potential customers and they know if they need something I can usually supply it. Today, I use CraigsList for finding a lot of jobs. There is always someone that needs some kind of a widget built. I am crazy enough to bid a job without any idea of how I am going to do it, or if it can even be built. I have pretty much made a career out of doing it like this.

For a hobby to be self-supporting, you just have to get the word out to anyone that may be in need of your skills. I do just about everything from repairing lawnmowers to heavy equipment.

On my case, I think I have made about $100 with all of my machine tools, if I don't count the laser engraver. With the laser engraver I have been able to half pay for it, and this is a $18K piece of equipment. The rest of the equipment has been funded with my actual job, mostly annual bonuses.

I too would love to be able to fund my tool acquisitions, but that implies I need to spend the very limited amount of spare time I have, doing somebody else's project. The only other mechanism that I can think of is coming up with some kind of a trinket but as of today that hasn't happened.

It is tough supporting this hobby by spending most of my money on tools. It has taken close to 20 years, to amass my "tool army". I am just supremely lucky my wife hasn't kicked my butt out of the house... Although, there is so much iron on my blood stream, that could truly pulverize her foot ;-)

Can't quite call it a dream workshop but likely as close as I'll get since I'm 53 now. For years just a little space in part of a garage where ever I was living and for the last 7 years I had one space of a 3 car garage but when we bought this house my part of the location choice was enough room for something larger, so we bought a house on 2 acres with no HOA. Last spring I finally had enough to get started and had a 24 x 36 slab poured and the main structure put up. I did all the interior work and electrical (except for drywall, I hate drywall :))) and tried to put in (hopefully) enough power for future needs. I put in a 100A panel, ran 6 240V circuits to various spots around the building and put in about 40 120V receptacles, basically 2 duplex's every 6ft. I hate tripping over cords, so having an outlet close at hand is great.

Still very much a work in progress but it's usable. I insulated the walls and the roll up door and had the attic blown in about month ago. Finally getting a handle on the heating situation, picked up a lightly used 125,000 BTU Modine "Hot Dawg" propane heater last weekend, so soon cold will no longer be an issue. The shop is split, 24 x 24 is mostly general purpose and wood working, the back is 12 x 20 and has space for the lathe, mill, drill press, hydraulic press and a couple bench grinders. This isn't the full width as I used a 4 x 12 space for a storage closet and a room for the air compressor and dust collector. At some point a rotary phase convertor will find a home in there, at least if I end up with any 3 phase tools, which seems likely. I used pocket doors on the partition wall, that way I have a 6ft opening to get machines through but don't have to give up floor space for them to swing and I can close them to keep the wood dust away from the machines. My wife is amazing, we're old enough to not have any kids at home and she even helped with the epoxy for the floor.

mike

2013-05-17 16.33.17.jpg 2013-08-04 17.13.04.jpg

Man, you guys have it lucky! I am living in a house with no shed at the moment. When funds permit, we'll knock the house down and build a new one with a nice shed. Until then, I have my shop set up in a 20' container! Inside I have two big benches, an engine lathe, a mill, a surface grinder, a 20 ton press, a ht oven, metal bandsaw, welder, large compressor and a bunch of other junk. It's surprisingly comfortable to work in and I get a lot done in there. Gets pretty hot in summer tho!

Rhys.

To have a home with a 2 acre lot where I can build an external building that becomes my shed, is precisely what I have been envisioning as my Dream Workshop.

You would imagine it is easy to do, but as I have found on the last year, apparently not that much. There are a few "details" which makes it harder than it needs to be, at least here in Northern Dallas TX.

For starters, homes with 1 acre lots are extremely rare. We found a place farther from where we live which would have been ideal, but then my commute would have gone from 35 minutes to an hour. To spend 2 hours of my day on a car is not that appealing...

I could buy a 2 acre lot and build, but I just don't feel it is the time to do so. Maybe in 5 years?

If I had a million dollars lying around, options open up like crazy! Well, back to the dreaming board....

Awesome stories everyone. I am in the camp of the worked my ass off as well as had some luck (or blessings however you want to look at it) involved. I eat, sleep and drink motorcycles and automotive and have all my life. I wanted to make that my career/job but seeing some family and friends and how they struggled in the automotive industry I chose a slightly different path to use my mechanical skillset. I was able to land a job as an industrial maintenance apprentice at the age of 19 for a large warehouse/distribution center. I thought this is where I could make enough money and have health care benefits to fulfill my financial requirements as a job and still be able to make motorcycles and automotive my LIFE. I have been here for going on 26 years now and have worked into a shop foreman/supervisor position, actually kind of stupid on my part as I enjoyed wrenching SOOO much more.

My wife and I got married early, I was 20 she 19, and we rented a home near my parent's house where I had a small 25'x26' shop to work out of on my parent's farm. Early in 1991 we had saved up quite a bit of money and decided to start looking for a house to purchase with enough of a yard to build a detached shop in the back. My wife had some specifics on what she wanted in a house and she knew the #1 priority was a large enough lot to build my workshop. I also wanted a two car garage attached to the house but it would not be to work out of.

We purchased our home just after it was completed in spring of 1991 and within a few weeks my wife found out we were pregnant. The shop got put on hold until after our son was born and glad I did because our son was born 3-months premature and had a lot of health expenses even though we had pretty good insurance at the time. It wiped out our shop savings and we had to start all over again once getting caught up on medical bills. Many of my co-workers tried telling me to file bankruptcy but I just couldn't do that. I picked up extra shifts at work and grabbed any and every side job I could and worked on them in my little shop at my parents farm. It sucked driving back and forth to home and shop and work but we were able to save up and in 1995 I finished building a street rod for a guy and had enough money to commence building out home shop.

I broke ground on 4th of July weekend in 1995 on our 34'x34' shop in the backyard with 14' ceilings. I started moving my toolbox and the small amount of equipment that was mine and not my dad's from the shop at their farm on Halloween weekend 1995. My entire summer and every waking minute that was not spent at work was spend building my shop. My older brother and my dad helped a little bit but my father's health was not good so he was there more for moral support.

My wife has been absolutely fantastic throughout our entire marriage when it comes to the shop and tools/equipment. She knows and understands that is how I make a living and the benefits it has brought to our life together. I have always insisted on purchasing quality over quantity and simply would not buy junk tools or equipment. Some of my tools and equipment I had purchased used form either pawn shops or the local ads and upgrade as money would allow but over the past ten years or so I have been in a position to buy new equipment with the intention of it lasting well through retirement and have something to leave to my son. I would always set a small amount from every job aside to a tool/equipment budget and was amazed at how quickly I was able to fill my shop. I also was able to throw a lot of extra money at our mortgage over the years as well as we wanted to have our home paid off to be able to help our son with college once he got to that age. We paid our home off in 1996 as my son was a junior in high school.

My wife and I have been extremely blessed in our life together. Even with our setbacks we kept pushing forward. We have built some amazing cars and bikes for clients as well as a few for ourselves that we have enjoyed. We have had some magazine features done on some of our toys and have thoroughly enjoyed life. Our shop and the work that I have done in it has played an integral part in that and my son now @ 22 years old has had experiences building bikes, cars, sandrails and quads that some people only dream of. Our shop has opened up a vast array of experiences for both my son as well as myself.

Now my wife and I are in our mid-40's and looking towards retirement. As we both are getting tired of the corporate games we play in our full-time jobs we are leaning towards positioning ourselves to be able to retire within the next 8-10 years and work from our home shop and still have time and money to be able to travel in our motorhome and enjoy life. We have contemplated multiple times over the past three or four years about selling our home and buying one with a little more property to be able to build a 50'x80' shop divided in half. 40'x50' to work out of and 40'x50' to store our coach and trailer in but neither of us are fond of the idea of going back to having a mortgage payment again.

We are simply going to be happy with what we have and enjoy it now as well as into retirement.

Mike.

Well I ran across this thread and it invoke so many memories I just had to write something. My first "shop" was my dad's garage where I managed a small space next to the chevy for a cobbled together bench big enough to put my pride and joy craftsman three drawer tool box on. I could move the car out of the garage, bring in my dirt bike and bust my knuckles. Later my dad and I built a 10'x10' shed in the back yard that was "mine". It was 2x4's and plywood and not much else, but it had a plywood bench across one side and I even put some old carpet down on the slab that I rescued from a house down the street. My friends and I could work on the bikes, get grease all over and no one bothered us. My machines at that time were an old black and decker 1/4" drill and,,,well that was it.

When I moved out, got married and had my own place, the "shop" was again a spot next to the car...if there was a garage at all After several rentals, we finally bought a tract home and it had this "huge" two car garage. Twenty feet by nineteen point five feet never looked so big. It was so big I sub divided it into a wash room, a full length work bench/shop and room for one car (my wife's of course). Many moves later and many garage/shops later my wife and I came to the point where we felt we had the means to build our own "dream" home and shop. Not that we already hadn't built a "dream" home (and shop) while we raised three kids over a 20 year period, but it was patched together from pieces and parts from someone else's "dream" home, and not really ideal. So the idea was that as we came towards retirement age, we would sell out, build a small home and a large shop where we both could persue our hobbies and crafts. A 1500 sq. ft. modular home and a 6,000 sq. ft. metal building shop on a few acres was the vision.

After a long search, two years of building and now five years of settling in...the reality is different, not better or worse just different. It turns out that modular homes and large metal buildings are ok in many places, but not where the land is valuable and the views are "pretty", or so it happened. We ended up with a beautiful site, a beautiful home and a beautiful shop. Beautiful meaning the home got bigger and the shop got smaller. I shouldn't complain, my shop is a finished 2500 sq. ft. space with epoxy coated floors, high ceilings, cabinets everywhere, 400amp service, 110v and 220v outlets every were and work benches for miles. The shop has areas for lapidary work, wood work, metal work and automotive/motorcycle building. I have more machines than I can count...although many a compromise on cost and capacity, I feel like I can build just about anything. So it takes a while. I'm 61 years young. It takes a LOT of hard work. It takes a wife that's willing to go along with it, (she also has her 25'x25' "craft room" by the way). Getting your "dream shop" means getting the best you can achieve with the means and resources you can muster and then being happy with it. I still remember how thrilled I was with that first shed I built with my dad...and how greasy that darn carpet got.

I'm 68 years old and it's taken me most of that time to get my life on an even keel. Planning to turn my business over to my (step)son in the next couple years and have a nice acreage under contract with 30x60 shop. I'm still very active and have plans for several different business ventures but REALLY looking forward to setting my own schedule!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back