How do I get started in Model Engineering ?

DaveH said:
Don't tell the world you are good - let the world tell you, you are good.

;)
DaveH

;)
Best quote ever, something to live by!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wen you die, people should ask: "Where is the statue to this person?" rather than "Why is there a statue to this person?"

I have to agree with every word Dave has said.

There are too many people in this world telling you that you are unable to do something.

If you want to have a go at it, then do so, if you fail, then at least you have tried. Without trying, you learn nothing.

John

author=DaveH

Nelson,

I think it all depends how good ones good is up the good scale.

I don't think it is good - but I only read the first sentence.

Here is part of it "model engineering requires considerable knowledge and skill" rubish, rubish, rubish.

Total arrogance - look how good we are, you are not this good, we need considerable skill and knowledge to do this - crap!.

This is why young people find it hard to fit in and don't stay, it's why young people look and run away.

I despise this sort of - Look how good, knowledgeable, and skillful we are. It is just damn right arrogance, and it is not needed in model engineering, one of the reasons why the world looks at us and says “Arrogant bunch of so & so’sâ€

It is this same self opinionated ideals that belittle the new guy – “I am far to good to be bothered with that stupid questionâ€

Don't tell the world you are good - let the world tell you, you are good.

;0
DaveH

Now I am bluudy upset.
You got all that from the first sentence?

I think Dave is referring to the word 'SKILL'

In the context it was written in, it is a big BS word that people use when they think they are better than others.

I have thousands of different skills, from welding to wiping my own a**e (sorry about the UK spelling), and most are not related to machining, so really the word that should have been used was 'experience', which is a thing that comes over time, and if you stick with it and manage to get the better of it, you will be experienced in that particular job.

I have been doing modelling, and what I class as model engineering for nearly 50 years, and I reckon I am only about 10% skilled at it (there is another 90% that I need to learn intimately), but I am also fully experienced in lots of aspects of it.

Just look at my signature line, that, coupled to 'making one good part at a time' will stand you in good stead to get on in model engineering. Take things easy and don't rush it, achieve the best you can and always strive to do better, and if you are in doubt, always ask, no question, if genuine, is silly, there is always someone about with the necessary experience to give you guidance. Then you too will start to get the necessary 'skills' under your belt.

John

Perhaps Websters dictionary can clarify, Skill : the ability to use ones knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance b : dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks . That's all it means. I can tell you after 40 years in the business that I have skills, and so do you. But no way am i inferring that I am better than you. Lighten up guys.

I have always wondered why there is such a thing as "unskilled labor". I mean, digging ditches is a skill that must be taught in order for it to be done efficiently and properly. T & C grinding is a skill, but that doesn't mean that guy can't dig a ditch, nor that the ditch digger can't be taught to grind tools. I believe that people inaccurately apply to an individual's innate abilities to do certain things by intuition. I'm sure we've all seen people who seem to have a knack for certain tasks that seem to pick up on it quickly and easily. That only means they can develop the skill perhaps more easily than others. It's not a matter of intelligence or skill itself, really, although people tend to make it so.

Highly skilled means highly trained, highly experienced, or highly able to apply either or both to a task, and little more.

I read the little article, quickly (a skill I possess ;)) and wasn't insulted at all. Much of what they mean is correct, but perhaps should have been stated in a somewhat less condescending manner. But then, we are all supposed to have thick skin and not be easily offended, since we are better than them anyway! :)

I apologize for causing a stir by posting this link- such wasn't my intention of course.
===

I've seen a lot of arrogance in antique clock repair, and it turned me off. I quit the clock groups because of it and studied on my own. That is why some hobbies die out and lose a lot of members. It would be best, of course, to perpetuate the hobbies by welcoming new people all the time
instead of driving them away. I hope we do a bit of that on here.

Nelson

Back