[How do I?] How Do I Indicate The Center Of A Vertical Chuck?

JK47

Registered
Registered
I have a vertical milling center at my disposal for a few weeks which I have been running some simple projects on. There is a vertical chuck, but I believe it's location was not correctly indicated. I've come pretty close using an edge finder and a piece of round stock of known diameter chucked up, but can't seem to get the center location 100% correct. What is the method for finding the center of a vertical chuck?

you should be using and indicator in the milling center chuck and indicating around the part in the vertical chuck.

If you don't have a test indicator, you can still use your edge finder. Youtubes and descriptions out there. Google: "edge finder center round stock"

Ken

Put your 1" round stock in the collet/holder in the machine then loosen your vertical chuck on the table and bring your round stock down and clamp on it with the other end of the round stock and tighten your chuck to the table, this is assuming it's a 3 jaw. If it's a 4 jaw you need a indicator or edge finder a little more involved. Hope you solve it
dickr

Back