How do I make a scraper radius gauge?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm referring to this one for sale on Ebay.
I don't know how to set up the flycutter to cut a 60-45 degree radius??
Thank you!!

Jeff, are those degrees, mm, or centimeters?... since it's a radius, I would think it's not degrees, but was a mm, or centimeter radius.

This may be the long way around and doesn’t get to use any fancy machines but I just drew one up in ACAD, pasted up the print to a scrap of brass, cut it out and filed to shape, then stamped some numbers on it. Works ok for what you need it to do.

IMG_9880.jpeg

image.jpg
I wish I could remember who made these and put them in the pass around box awhile back. Looks like it’s in inches 1-6” radii. Either way I would think you could scribe your lines on a piece of material. Take the bulk out with a endmill then clean it up with a boring head. Radius is half a circle so cut a 120mm circle you get a 60mm radius

The Ebay listing says that the numbers are for radius measured in mm.
Couldn't you set a fly cutter to the desired radius and then feed down though the stock so that the cutter forms the radius? I would think that there would be a practical limit to how thin of stock you could use before it crumples up under the cutter.

I was under the impression that scraper radius is usually measured in mm. Maybe because Biax is German. But PPI is in inches. Fun stuff.
@piper184, just sandwich the stock between some sacrificial material.

Jeff, are those degrees, mm, or centimeters?... since it's a radius, I would think it's not degrees, but was a mm, or centimeter radius.
Great question.
I just found my Richard King scraping class book.
The radius tool we used in class had a>>
140mm = 5.511" radius
90mm = 3.543"
60mm = 2.362"

I guess I measure the radius swing from center to achieve the desired tool radius.

I think I got caught up on degrees which sent me into the twilight zone.

This may be the long way around and doesn’t get to use any fancy machines but I just drew one up in ACAD, pasted up the print to a scrap of brass, cut it out and filed to shape, then stamped some numbers on it. Works ok for what you need it to do.

View attachment 460707
I'm not as smart as you. I don't know from CAD. :)

The Ebay listing says that the numbers are for radius measured in mm.
Couldn't you set a fly cutter to the desired radius and then feed down though the stock so that the cutter forms the radius? I would think that there would be a practical limit to how thin of stock you could use before it crumples up under the cutter.
I think that's exactly what I do.
Thanks

I was under the impression that scraper radius is usually measured in mm. Maybe because Biax is German. But PPI is in inches. Fun stuff.
@piper184, just sandwich the stock between some sacrificial material.
Good idea about the sandwich. I guess for that large radius I could draw it and transfer-tape it and use a sharpie to give me a guide to file or grind.
The smaller radius will be much easier. I don't have a large fly cutter. On the make it list.

Back