How do I make a scraper radius gauge?

Jeff, the original Biax gage is about .053 thick, has radii of 60, 90, &140 mm, it has a 1" square hole in the center for counting bearing spots, and is about 2" X 2 3/8" in size, one edge surface is straight and ground to an acute angle, and is hardened, this edge is used, I think, for deburring rough scraped surfaces, If it would help, I could trace around it and send the tracing to you.
John

Oxtools shows how he cut an arc in his Wilton vise with a boring head starting at 31.12

View attachment 460709
I wish I could remember who made these and put them in the pass around box awhile back. Looks like it’s in inches 1-6” radii. Either way I would think you could scribe your lines on a piece of material. Take the bulk out with a endmill then clean it up with a boring head. Radius is half a circle so cut a 120mm circle you get a 60mm radius
I got mine like that from our own vtcnc/Bryan

Good idea about the sandwich. I guess for that large radius I could draw it and transfer-tape it and use a sharpie to give me a guide to file or grind.
The smaller radius will be much easier. I don't have a large fly cutter. On the make it list.
but you can probably use the horizontal hole on a boring head and get the 140mm that you need. Just put a piece of wood under it to hold it up an inch or 2. so you can make it.. well provided you have a boring head.

Jeff, the original Biax gage is about .053 thick, has radii of 60, 90, &140 mm, it has a 1" square hole in the center for counting bearing spots, and is about 2" X 2 3/8" in size, one edge surface is straight and ground to an acute angle, and is hardened, this edge is used, I think, for deburring rough scraped surfaces, If it would help, I could trace around it and send the tracing to you.
John
I may take you up on your generous offer.
I'm going to try to make one from the information I have gathered today.
Thank you!!

I made a tracing of it this afternoon, what address to send it to?

I would be happy to create a 3D printed version of the Biax scraper gauge for you Jeff, lmk if you want one

Back