How do I move this lathe safely to my workshop?

i moved my last 1236 by unbolting the lathe form the base cabinetry and manhandling it onto the tailgate
they are only about 400 to 450 lbs,
i loaded the cabinets and away i went ( you'll have a splash guard, i didn't)
to unload ,an engine hoist (or the reverse operation outlined above) could be employed
not hard moves on the 1236"s

One of your bigger problems will be a top heavy piece of equipment on a relatively small trailer. Even with it strapped tightly down, taking corners could actually tip the whole load, trailer and all. I would try my damnest to remove the lathe from the cabinet and transport it on the bed of the trailer.

With the drive you have, I'd take it off the cabinet, but see if you can rig up the dolly so you can roll the lathe minus the cabinet on the wheels. Much less likely to tip over but still mobile. The cabinets are usually just sheet metal and they can often be unbolted to make them two pedestals and a center so fairly easy to move. Get it all into your garage, put the base back together then use the engine hoist to put the lathe back on the base.

I wouldn't put the lathe back on the dolly once it is set up. Having the lathe on wheels can effect its accuracy.

i moved my last 1236 by unbolting the lathe form the base cabinetry and manhandling it onto the tailgate
they are only about 400 to 450 lbs,
i loaded the cabinets and away i went ( you'll have a splash guard, i didn't)
to unload ,an engine hoist (or the reverse operation outlined above) could be employed
not hard moves on the 1236"s
That’s how I moved mine.

I have a similar lathe I have moved a couple of times. I use an engine hoist, and lift the lathe (after unbolting), off the base. Then move the bases by hand. Then lower the lathe to the legs of the engine hoist. Then roll it to the trailer, and raise it, and either back the trailer under the lathe, or roll it to the trailer. then secure the parts to the trailer. The other end is just reversed.

If you can bolt 4' 4x4 to the base to make it wider it's a big help. If you can't you can always block the base in and lag bolt it to the trailer floor. I always carry my cordless impact, a box of lags, plenty of blocks and lots of ratchet straps anytime I'm hauling anything.

When strapping down top heavy machines like a lathe I always:
Start the strap by anchoring it on one side of the trailer, go over the top of the machine, wrap the strap around the whole body of the lathe by looping the strap underneath the lathe before going over the top a second time and securing the strap to its second anchor point on the other side of the trailer.

Just running a strap over the top of the machine will keep the machine down on the trailer but the loop around the whole machine keeps the machine from slipping underneath the strap allowing it to move around and possibly fall over.

Of course you will use multiple straps and the loops will keep the lathe from being able to fall over underneath the straps. The loops almost eliminate shifting on the ride home even when the machine isn't top heavy. This technique has always worked very well for me even on very top heavy things like a stand up vertical compressor with the huge motor and multistage pump on top of it.

Like others have said bring blocking to keep pressure off the lead screw etc. An engine crane (cherry picker) is one of the best investments that I made and great for unloading.

I have had a few sellers (even a couple old salts) watch me make the loops around the body of the machine with a "that makes a heck of a lot of sense" look on their faces. LOL!

wlakerturnerras01-jpg.370220

Here a single loop (I don't know why I went under instead of over the RAS arm) kept it upright for a few hour drive home. You will have to look very close to see how the strap is looped around the arm. Like I said I usually loop over the machine before going around the machine but in this case looping under worked just as well. Without the loop this RAS would have fallen over when I went around the first curve or did the first quick stop.

Last edited:
Rather than a motorcycle trailer I would strongly suggest a drop deck trailer. With this style trailer the bed will lower to ground level. You can use the current casters to move it onto and off without lifting it. Once in place you can raise it slightly to slide cribbing under it to raise the casters enough that the machine won't roll.. Once the lathe is on the trailer it can be strapped to one of the side rails to keep it from tipping or moving. I used one to transport my Sheldon lathe from Chicago to Madison.

Many rental companies have then, and they're not all that expensive. I rented one capable of 7,000 lbs. for 4 days for $200.00. As it turned out I only needed it 2 days so the final cost was $100.00 plus tax.

Here are a couple pictures of the move. I did have the help of the previous owner to move it onto the trailer, but I unloaded it myself. The machine weighs about 1,700 lbs.

Attachments

• DSC01030A.jpg
    DSC01030A.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC01031A.jpg
    DSC01031A.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 112
Back