[How do I?] How do lathe tools not hit on the back side of tool?

Do you have canned cycles ?

JimDawson, that looks good. What program is that?

It is Fusion 360, hobby license. Maybe time to get acquainted with it. I learn something new everytime I fire it up, been working with it for about a year. In fact, the model of your part is the first I have ever done from scratch. Normally I'm working with pre-drawn models.

I would say it does have canned cycles. G71 and G70 and G72... something like that. However I've only seen the g-code that the NAVI makes. I have not personally used it.

I will try to pick it up at some point. I bought a few different books at the start of the year. I don't know how I could actually use it at work. For now I want my focus to be on programming at the machine. How long did it take to model it? I've "read" a few times now that it's faster to program at the machine for simple parts then get CAD/CAM.

I think I finally figured out the tool angles for the tool data and am off for the night. Thanks everyone.

If you have canned cycles , just program the final part . It will prompt you to how much for finish cut on x and z . How much depth of cut , etc . It doesn't get faster or easier than that . Once you get used to it , it's a breeze .

G71 is a roughing cycle for z turning . G70 would be your finish cycle with tool nose comp . Same program #s .

It took me about an hour to figure out how to model it, and about 10 min to actually do so. Another 3 min or so in the CAM side to create the tool path. I do a lot of lathe CAM work so I pretty well have that down. I have to say that my son could have modeled it in about 1 minute, but he is an expert in Fusion.

I do some programming at the machine or in some cases adding operations that Fusion can't generate, just by hand writing the G code. My machine does not have conversational programming available.

Jim , Way back in the day I was responsible for a Makino slant bed with conversational programming . I could have the parts programmed and finished by the time the manufacturing engineers walked upstairs to programming with the prints . :grin: They didn't like us too much , but we were working in a secret lab directly for the CEOs and Big Shots . Kinda like skunkworks . :) Lots of designs were passed onto us on napkins , sketches etc . We made the prototypes and fixtures , programs and sent them out to manufacturing .

As I always said …...

1= a prototype
2= a matched pair
3= production
:big grin:

I've mentioned G code to my coworker and he doesn't seem too fond. Maybe way back when he used it, there wasn't canned cycles? What would be faster, G code or conversational, at the lathe. This Navi conversational is being difficult still and I see at least 2 problems that I'm not sure how to even fix. (partoff at 4k-6k rpm, restarts spindle every turning/facing/etc process) G code could work, but then I'm not sure about tool data and canned cycles? I think tool data might only be for Navi. I finally made a basic program that didn't alarm out and found out I couldn't get the G54 offset set correctly. Won't get to touch the machine again until Monday, if I'm lucky. Plan to study G code and my Peter Smid cnc programming handbook, this weekend.

What lathe you are working with would probably help for some ideas.
I've only been dabbling in it for a short while and I have an old production machine running Fanuc 6.
So my knowledge is very limited. But there are some here that can probably help more if they knew the system and the lathe you were working with.

What lathe you are working with would probably help for some ideas.
I've only been dabbling in it for a short while and I have an old production machine running Fanuc 6.
So my knowledge is very limited. But there are some here that can probably help more if they knew the system and the lathe you were working with.
It's a Mitsubishi LT-350 with Navi control. Faunc 0i-MATE-TD is what I just found from a website, but I thought it had a M70 or M700 controller. 12" chuck with 1.77" bore, 3 jaws. 6k rpm. Tailstop, 12 tools, 6 are "drills". Stupid complicated tool eye. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be a very popular machine.

We had a 6MB that was simple . I wish I knew that after I left the company they were selling that lathe , I woulda snapped it up in a heartbeat .:)

Back