How do you clean your small machine?

I had a small person but he resigned.

Thanks much guys for all of the help with this.

I will never use a blow gun to clean my machines. The machines are designed to let the chips fall by gravity, or to get tossed around a bit where the cutting takes place without getting packed up into unimaginable places.
I remove the bulk of chips and swarf with a dustpan and brush. Then I take a dedicated shopvac to it. After that, I wipe everything down with rags, changing to a clean rag as it fills with chips and oil. If anything needs to be softened up, I will use a little WD40 and more clean rags. The chips in the dedicated shopvac get dumped in the scrap bin, and when I have enough for a scrap run I get some $.

I should have added that the 2000 is a CNC machine and it grinds away for hours at a time so hand-cutting-fluid application isn't practical. Maybe I should find another potion to put in the mister which doesn't dry sticky.

I try to keep the base of the machine covered so most of the chips land on the cover or the bench.

Attachments

• vinyl cover.jpg
    vinyl cover.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 14
Did you think of using/trying the way covers that Sherline offers? Could help but its only part of the issue.
My machines are not CNC. I only use sulfur type cutting oil while machining, drilling. I have a oil cup and little brush.
Could be beneficial to set up the mister as a timed drip of oil vs misting the synthetic fluid, still beneficial to cutter life but less mess. I use a regular chip brush, shop vac and paper towels to clean up afterwards, no sticking issues. CNC is more complicated... Let us know if you test an oil drip vs a mister.

Don't use compressed air and don't use WD-40. WD-40 slowly dries into a sticky brown mess. As mentioned before compressed air will blow chips into places you don't want them to go.

Use a little vacuum cleaner to suck up as much as you can while using a chip brush (one of those really cheap bristle paint brushes). Use paper towels or cloth to wipe down as much as you can get afterwards.

Apply cutting fluid with a plumber's flux brush.

I wipe things down with Singer sewing machine oil unless another type of oil is required for the part.

Two thing I learned regarding cleaning my machines, one, I avoid using compressed air ( which I regretfully still do it occasionally ) but more importantly, I try not to fuss over small amount of oil, metal chips, dirt ,as long as the ways are wiped and lubed the machines in my shop look like they have just been used and superficially cleaned.

Last edited:
Back