How do you fill in (plug) holes in cast iron to get good results?

I've done similar to Peter's method, except I turned a slight taper on the shoulder to fit tightly into the counterbore. I made the plug long enough to mill a hex on it for a wrench. Loctite and a little time, and milled it away. The taper made the seam invisible.

Nelson, I think he meant that the table would be ground after the plug procedure to give a truly flat, flush fit for the plug.

Ahh, after...

I hope I could do the grinding- having to send these things out is expensive, if you can find a place.

Nelson

Allthumbz link=topic=2899.msg20793#msg20793 date=1312498763 said:
Ahh, after...

I hope I could do the grinding- having to send these things out is expensive, if you can find a place.

Nelson
:) :) This sounds like the beginning of a larger shop with space for the new surface grinder or maybe a Blanchard grinder ;) ;) ;) But that's the nature of this hobby one thing leads to the next. :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! Flycut a dp table? Sure! No need for a ground surface on it.

saludos

hola desde Mexico. creo que tu flycutter esta muy grande ,ten cuidado con las vibraciones , si es baja velocidad , no sera mucho problema , pero con muchas r.p.m se movera bastante , perdon pero es solo una idea :nerd:

Back