How do you remove this screw?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Does anyone know how to remove this pin?

Thanks.

Nelson

Attachments

• Tailstockguidepin-1.jpg
    Tailstockguidepin-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give any more details ? What part is it in? Is it a tapered pin? The photo may just give the appearance of the ID being tapered ? Does the slot run all the way to the back of the part the pin is in ? Looking at the picture and not being sure what I'm looking at it appears like you could possibly drive the pin towards the back with a punch or drift pin and it would ride up what looks like the slanted slot and come out ?

My 2 cents worth.

~Chris

I'm assuming tailstock. The pin is to keep the barrel from rotating.

Try removing the upper part of the tailstock from the base and looking up from the bottom. But first, take a look at the index marks (probably at the handwheel end) to see exactly how they line up. You'll want to put it back together the same way to get it aligned with the headstock.

Nelson,

On a lot of earlier machines, it is screwed in from the underside of the tailstock nose, so have a close look underneath (the screwhead might just have been filled up with paint).

On later machines, it is sometimes dropped into the slot deepened with a drilled hole, and can usually be lifted out with a pair of long nosed pliers, failing that, use a small chisel (I didn't tell you to use an old screwdriver) and tap the nearest edge to you in an upwards direction. That usually gets them out, but you might need to dress it clean afterwards, so that you can put it back in.

That pin is in there to stop the tailstock ram from rotating as it is screwed in and out, so isn't a bit that can be discarded, but I have made new ones to stop the ram from rotating a little too much when this pin gets worn over time.

I hope this helps

John

Back