How Do You Use Corner Workbench Space?

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
I am in the midst of re-organizing the machining portion of my workshop (garage) and the best layout I have come up with so far given my constraints is to use my two benches in an "L" shaped configuration. However, the one thing I noticed about this is that there is that corner section where the two legs of the L meet that I feel could be more efficiently used than the one set of small bins I have there now. Do any of you guys have an L shaped configuration? If so, what do you do with the corner section? I am thinking a lazy susan might not be a bad idea, but figured I would ask here since you guys always have some great ideas.

One corner of my bench is where an extra small drill press lives. When I need it (two drill presses working in series) I move it to the table saw, adjacent to one of the other drill presses.

corner spaces naturally collect junk.
I would try again to re-organize to get rid of it, or fill the space with something that prevents ingress of other junk. Your shop vac would be really happy in a corner, so would your compressor.

How about plants? I am making an L bench for my new shop, and I was thinking of putting a small cactus garden in that space. Easy to maintain, and gives a certain sophistication to the shop. My plan is to put up a shield so they don't get covered in oil/coolant.

The corners, the floor, every square inch of bench space, the shelfs, etc, etc, etc. If it’s anything like my garage, it’s all gonna be full of crap.

I tend to use corners for seldom used items that take up space. Blocking them is only a pain a few times a year. Corners do collect junk, especially on a flat surface.

I actually try and avoid the situation. A corner is a great place to stack milk crates full of stuff. I try to make a flat surface usable on at least three out of four sides. Depending on how high you go with milk crates in the corner you can easily make a seat. If you have two flat surfaces approaching the corner and a seat you can really use a lot of bench top. Just my free advice, good luck

I use corners for things like Tool boxes etc, Welders, etc, Than put shelves above to put additional tools etc on that I do not use as often.

A lot of my more seldom used items (hand tapping machine, fire bricks, etc.) used to go under the bench. I have a french cleat above the bench for things like taps and drills, v blocks, smaller vises, counterbores, etc. I would prefer to not have the corner, but getting rid of the corner would compromise the reserved space for SWMBO to pull the van in during hail and the like. I'll take another good long look at it this evening.

I don't have any corners big enough to put anything in. Three of them are taken up by doors, the fourth has a washer/dryer in it. You know what happens, if you mess with that space!

Back