How does on press in small pins straight?

This is what I was thinking of doing. Drawing isn't complete, but shows the vent holes coming in radially.
thirdBarrelWrenchTopView.jpgthirdBarrelWrenchRightView.jpg

Here's a slightly more finished drawing, at least of this piece.

Attachments

• BarrelNutWrenchV3.pdf
    240.3 KB · Views: 4
They are soft pins, I would take a skim cut down most of the length of the pin. Maybe .005 off.
Press pins with flat going in first. It will vent the hole won't affect the press or location.

or you can heat up the holder, and freeze the pins in a plastic bag, and drop them into the holder that has been heated. if they drop in it means that the air has released from the expansion.

Well, I machined the piece, with the vent holes. Not beautiful, but not bad. Everything is set up for doing the pins. These will be 1.98mm pins into 1.95mm holes. The pins will be a slight interference. Here's some pictures.PXL_20231017_194500512.jpgPXL_20231017_194523381.jpgPXL_20231017_201126360.jpgPXL_20231017_204216761.jpg
I managed to line everything up to within 0.1mm as measured by the difference between two horizontal pins 180 degrees apart measured near the part OD. It's less than 0.2 degrees error between the two sets of holes. Each vertical hole has a vent to the OD.

I used a spotting drill on the radial holes so the tiny drill wouldn't skate. Worked out well. Material is 12L14. I'll add a few more pics the next post.

Here's the piece so far. You can see the hole for the handle, I'm making that now. To the right is the pin caddy/ spacer. I have to use tweezers to pick up the pins as they are small.
PXL_20231017_224949392.jpg

I pressed 3 pins at a time, using the spacer as a stop. The arbor press easily set the pins, since there was only 0.03mm of interference. The first time I tried it the spacer came right off. The second time, the spacer got stuck. Eventually, using a razor blade as a wedge, I was able to work off the spacer. The pins are undamaged and protrude 3.4mm, which is fine.
PXL_20231017_232838468.jpg
You can see I could have pressed the pin slightly further, but my spacer was 3.4mm. Magnify the picture, you can see the pin in the hole. I couldn't hold the spacer in my lathe, (ER40 chuck) not without gluing it.
PXL_20231017_232757284.jpg
This finally turned out ok. Learned a bit along the way as well.

I pressed 3 pins at a time, using the spacer as a stop. The arbor press easily set the pins, since there was only 0.03mm of interference. The first time I tried it the spacer came right off. The second time, the spacer got stuck. Eventually, using a razor blade as a wedge, I was able to work off the spacer. The pins are undamaged and protrude 3.4mm, which is fine.
View attachment 462955
You can see I could have pressed the pin slightly further, but my spacer was 3.4mm. Magnify the picture, you can see the pin in the hole. I couldn't hold the spacer in my lathe, (ER40 chuck) not without gluing it.
View attachment 462956
This finally turned out ok. Learned a bit along the way as well.
pretty good. The end you have sticking out is the end I usually put in, since it's tapered. I leave the rounded end protruding. I always assumed the chamfer was for pressing the dowel pin.

pretty good. The end you have sticking out is the end I usually put in, since it's tapered. I leave the rounded end protruding. I always assumed the chamfer was for pressing the dowel pin.
Both ends of the pins are chamfered on these dowels. Thanks for the compliment.

@WobblyHand

It is obvious that you are living up to your signature line "Learning everyday".

Thanks for bringing us all along too!

Brian

Back