How find a shop with a diamond blade?

EDM is interesting, I know nothing about that but assume a conducive substrate is necessary? Silicon is semi-conductive at best? I don't know. What about a water jet place? They can cut glass. I checked the price of a diamond blade for my bigger band saw... yikes! :eek:
I've done EDM with boron carbide (another semiconductor); it works, but it's not pretty. With SiN, energy gap 3.8 V, it didn't work.
Si energy gap is 1.12V, so more similar to the (cubic) boron carbide,

I haven't attempted cutting silicon, just ceramic and other types of tile. I just ass-u-me-d if it (diamond) worked on ceramic it would work on silicon. I may well be wrong on that count. Mike

Diamond cuts silicon just fine.

The suggestion of using a tile saw is a good one, but whatever approach you take, you will get some chip-out around the cut. Silicon is as brittle as glass, with similar issues with regard to splinters. Silicon splinters are very sharp and hard to dig out of your skin (I know this for a fact). Silicon splinters will slowly dissolve in your finger and are infection-prone, so cutting silicon with water lube is a really good idea. You most definitely don't want to breathe silicon dust.

A 6 x 6 x 8 inch chunk of silicon must be a remnant from a silicon wafer manufacturer. Maybe the end of an ingot? I can't imagine any other industry that would be interested in hunks of pure silicon that size.

When a piece of silicon is placed in direct sunlight it can get very hot. This is because it absorbs light in the visible spectrum, down to about 1 micron wavelength (a bit below our perception of dark red) -- but it is transparent to longer wavelength light, as in the thermal IR region. This means it cannot emit long-wavelength IR, so it just gets hotter and hotter until heat loss by convection balances the thermal input. The 1 micron cutoff also is the reason why CCD or CMOS cameras can't "see" light below 1 micron -- no light absorption so no photo-current. Thermal-IR cameras use different semiconductors, or totally different detection technology like bolometer arrays.

Diamond cuts silicon just fine.

The suggestion of using a tile saw is a good one, but whatever approach you take, you will get some chip-out around the cut. Silicon is as brittle as glass, with similar issues with regard to splinters. Silicon splinters are very sharp and hard to dig out of your skin (I know this for a fact). Silicon splinters will slowly dissolve in your finger and are infection-prone, so cutting silicon with water lube is a really good idea. You most definitely don't want to breathe silicon dust.

A 6 x 6 x 8 inch chunk of silicon must be a remnant from a silicon wafer manufacturer. Maybe the end of an ingot? I can't imagine any other industry that would be interested in hunks of pure silicon that size.

When a piece of silicon is placed in direct sunlight it can get very hot. This is because it absorbs light in the visible spectrum, down to about 1 micron wavelength (a bit below our perception of dark red) -- but it is transparent to longer wavelength light, as in the thermal IR region. This means it cannot emit long-wavelength IR, so it just gets hotter and hotter until heat loss by convection balances the thermal input. The 1 micron cutoff also is the reason why CCD or CMOS cameras can't "see" light below 1 micron -- no light absorption so no photo-current. Thermal-IR cameras use different semiconductors, or totally different detection technology like bolometer arrays.
Well, now I want a slice :)

You know, I did try something very similar to your proposal. Turns out by the time I have rotated the silicon the four times needed to get the cut, I have still not cut through to the center. And the alignment of the four cuts is just not good enough for my need. But, given your enthusiasm for the approach, I will reconsider. Thanks. -Bill

If I'm understanding his suggestion, wouldn't this only require a single cut through the entire 6x6" section? (Assuming the arc of the movable portion of the saw, and thus the saw blade guide assemblies, allowed for it... if the arc is an issue perhaps you could tilt the 6x6 stock at a small angle to better fit the arc of the guide wheel assemblies.)

It's a clever idea - one I'll remember now for future. Thanks

Okay,

I really have no suggestions on how to cut this thing other than finding someone who manufacturers silicon wafers for chip production. Long ago I worked as a guard at Ultratech Stepper, now those were some cool machines.

But what I really want to know is what on Gods Green Earth are you making?

You know the drill, pictures or it didn't happen....

JOhn

How about a wire saw? If you have some sort of reciprocating action and a soft wire charged with diamond slurry, it should cut through the silicon. If the wire is horizontal, one can use gravity or a hydraulic down feed for the wire. Also, a horizontal trough is easier to keep the diamond slurry in. Envisioning some sort of modified power hacksaw, using a wire.

Otherwise, you need a 14" diamond saw to get a single cut through. That's a big (and expensive) saw!

How about a wire saw? If you have some sort of reciprocating action and a soft wire charged with diamond slurry, it should cut through the silicon. If the wire is horizontal, one can use gravity or a hydraulic down feed for the wire. Also, a horizontal trough is easier to keep the diamond slurry in. Envisioning some sort of modified power hacksaw, using a wire.

Otherwise, you need a 14" diamond saw to get a single cut through. That's a big (and expensive) saw!

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how the semiconductor industry produces wafer blanks from silicon crystal ingot grown in the Czochralski process.

I'd be willing to bet you could get an EDM to cut it. You'd probably be going VERY slowly with high power, but the silicon is moderately conductive.

Back