How I got to a South Bend

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Let me get this thing started! 25 years ago I bought a 12" Atlas Lathe that was a basket case. It was missing a lot of parts but I managed to get it working and make a few chips. Enough to get my interest any way. I set that machine aside for 20 years until last year. At that time I had purchased a Enco Compact 5 and a Harbor Freight 9 x 20 lathe at a government auction. My daughter sold the Enco on Ebay at enough profit where I was able to keep the 9 X 20. With this new machine I was able to finally do all of the things I couldn't on the Old Atlas. We pulled the Atlas out and sold it for parts on Ebay for a very nice profit, thus getting my daughter started on a home business that she is still doing quite successfully. While searching for inventory for my daughter, I came across a South Bend 10 K lathe that was in pristine condition at the government liquidation site. I purchased this machine, and traded the Chinese machine for a drill press. I have been getting this machine tooled up and honing my skills to the point where I am turning out some nice stuff. SWEET MACHINE!! American Iron can't be beat, in my opinion.

My Baby! I am in the middle of a project so it is kind of messy. I did learn how to use the taper attachment last week, sweet. The only regret with this machine is the spindle bore is only 3/4", that limits the possibilities. Oh well, it is a big step up for me.

IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1909.JPG

Nice looking machine:drool: The through hole won't be that big a deal all the other goodies out weigh that little glitch

sweet.

I agree, going up from an asian 9x20 to an old american iron is a major improvement.

I find that even having a larger through holes - I still end up wishing it was larger ;) so don't worry about the 3/4" size... just work around it.

sweet.

I agree, going up from an asian 9x20 to an old american iron is a major improvement.

I find that even having a larger through holes - I still end up wishing it was larger ;) so don't worry about the 3/4" size... just work around it.

Yep, learn to love your steady and follower rests. :biggrin: FWIW - My SB 11" has a 7/8" through hole.

-Ron

Back