How is this drill chuck supposed to work?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I've got this MT3 drill chuck for my lathe, picked it up in a box-lot at auction today. It's bigger than it looks in the pic - about 10" long without the bit that's stuck in it.
The problem is that unlike the little teeny MT1 chuck that I have of the same style, this one doesn't unscrew. I have no idea what I need to do to get the bit in/out.
Of course, as banged up as it is that might be for the better, but still I'd like to see if I could get it to work. Anyone know what part is supposed to turn, and what isn't, and what might be stuck?
I paid $18 and will sell the other tools I got in the box for at least that much, so if it turns out to be trash I didn't lose anything more than an hour of my time.mt3chuck.jpg

thanks
Joe

mt3chuck.jpg

Pure guesswork I'm afraid, I think the lowering of atmospheric pressure is getting to me! :whiteflag:

Chuck.jpg

M

Chuck.jpg

I'll try the soaking bit for a while, see if that loosens anything up. Then I'll try twisting, turning, pulling, swearing etc.
thanks
Joe

I think 7HC's guesses are as good as I could do except I'd throw it in a pan of Evapo-rust for the next 12 hours or so then some Kroil. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Back