How long does way oil last?

c1802362

Registered
Registered
I was "willed" a 5 gallon bucket of Conoco Hydroclear TCS Slideway Lubricant. The bucket is approximately 8 years old, has been opened, and has less than a quart removed.

As far as I can tell, Hydroclear is equivalent to Vactra #2, so I was planning to use it on both my Bridgeport mill and South Bend lathe. However, I can't tell by smelling the oil if it is rancid.

Does way oil go bad if it hasn't been exposed to the atmosphere?

Same as the details above, I was also willed a 5 gallon bucket of Kelsol, but I have no idea what to use it for. Any ideas?

I bet it would work perfectly, especially for us hobby guys. If it stunk or was a solid block that would be a different story.

I agree, if it still feels like oil and its odor is not objectioniable--then it is still good.

Vactra #2 has a peculiar, but not unpleasant odor. I have seen Vactra #4 that was quite old and precipitated some thick goo, but it still worked fine after I diluted it with a light machine oil; the best part was that I was given a barrel of it, needless to say, it lasted quite a long time.

Back