How Long for 5-HP Compressor to Pump up?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Curtis Challenge Air 5 HP vertical compressor with an E-50 pump. The other day, I somehow managed to leave the shop with the compressor on and the drain valve open. The compressor ran off and on all night. Since then, I have changed the oil.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but I have the impression that it takes longer to pump up to 175 now. Does anyone here have a similar machine and some idea how long it takes to pump up from zero?

I don't know whether compressor pumps can be rebuilt or what. If this thing is fried, I am thinking it might be a good excuse to buy a bigger pump and motor. I don't know how big a deal it is to put new machinery on an old tank, however.

5 HP, I'm guessing 60 or 80 gal tank? No matter, there's calculators online that will give you an estimate. Need to know your unit's CFM output & pressure switch cut off, then input some other variables. Here's one that I have saved in my phone. I'm sure there are others you can also try to compare results.

Thanks for the links. I got a figure of about 7 minutes and 50 seconds. That doesn't sound out of line with what I experienced today. I will time it tomorrow with the valve running to the shop lines closed.

It's not like the pump ran constantly all night. I don't know if it was built to handle turning on and off over and over for 12 hours.

Surplus Center has two-stage Rolair pumps which supposedly crank out 3 more CFM than my original pump, and the cost is about $130 more than a Curtis (Fusheng) rebuild kit.

Unless you need 175psi for some specific reason, I would turn it down to 120-140, your pump will run less, and live longer. Mike

If I do that, there is no point in having a big expensive compressor. Also, the pump would cycle more, not less.

If the pump up time isn't way off from online calculators & pumps up to to the pressure it's supposed to it's probably fine. Check the pump for any signs of oil leaks that you're not familiar with seeing before if there was any.

Do you know the duty cycle of your unit? That may also give you an idea if you are able to estimate how long & how many cycles it ran that night.

Sounds to me like no harm done but I'm no expert on these things.

What you put that pump through was about the same as 2 days of doing body work on a car. A DA sander will keep that pump cycling for the whole time you are using it. A sand blaster is even harder on the pump. I would bet that you do no measurable harm or wear. Any issues you are finding were probable there 3 days ago and you just did not notice it till now only because you are looking for it.

I have a 7.5hp 23 CFM compressor with an 80 gallon tank, it takes roughly 5 min from 0 to 175.

I'll time it. I may be imagining things.

I would like to get a longer drain line for this thing. I bought a braided hose, but it's only around 10" long. Ridiculous. You have to bend over and reach way down under the tank. Nobody seems to make a longer braided hose.

I wonder if I can find a hydraulic hose that would fit. I couldn't find air hoses for my air dryer, so I used hydraulic hose.

Back