How Long for 5-HP Compressor to Pump up?

Just use a normal air line with a valve at the end for drain.

Manufacturer or manual should state fill time.

Does your unit have mag starter?

If so easy to interlock to lights via adding a simple relay.

If not can do with a contactor.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It has a starter. Thanks for the idea.

I found a drain valve on a long lanyard, through this forum. Drain problem solved.

I timed the compressor, and it pumps up in 7 minutes, 30 seconds. This is what the online calculator predicted, almost to the second. I guess the pump is fine.

I would like to get a longer drain line for this thing. I bought a braided hose, but it's only around 10" long. Ridiculous. You have to bend over and reach way down under the tank. Nobody seems to make a longer braided hose.

I wonder if I can find a hydraulic hose that would fit. I couldn't find air hoses for my air dryer, so I used hydraulic hose.

Steel fittings rust in place in that application. Brass (air hose stuff) is better. Short of that, hydraulic hose is glorious overkill. Heavier too. It'll whip less if you drop it with the drain valve open.

I use a tether valve from a truck (air brake) air tank. Mine is set up so I can just step on it. But I can do that because my compressor is mounted on the shipping pallet yet. I don't have a final floor plan, so drilling doesn't seem prudent. If yours is bolted, you can also tether it up to something (anything) near the top of the tank, so you can just grab and tug when you walk by.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but I have the impression that it takes longer to pump up to 175 now. Does anyone here have a similar machine and some idea how long it takes to pump up from zero?

Don't use time unless it's WAY out of whack. Temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure (some with weather, but mostly with your elevation versus anyone offering advice) can and will change that number, and mess with your head.

We use a couple of this "not industrial but good for professional use" grade of compressor at work, about the same size. Various brands over the years. Three guys using one all day, every day, and another lower use one. They're on all night for the waste oil furnaces. Sometimes things happen. The one we're using now (the high use one in the shop) survived a half inch air hose blowing clean out the side for at least nine hours. It's "hurt", but not damaged enough to affect production. Has been for three years now. Five to six years is what we usually get out of these compressors.

The two best metrics you should concern yourself with is did the oil level drop overnight, and does it make too much water. The first and most immediate metric is if the oil level it dropped the distance of the ball in the sight glass (I think that's what you have), or about 3/16 of an inch overnight, it means it's working harder than it was meant to, but no worries on that amount, just don't make a habit of it. If it dropped 5/16 (the ball touched the bottom of the glass, but it's still "nearly" suspended in oil), you did a bad thing to the compressor, but it's probably still got most of it's life ahead of it.

The (somewhat) longer answer, although the better metric is paying attention to the amount of use and ESPECIALLY the amount of humidity in the air, so you will expect some daily and seasonal differences, see how much water you drain out the drain. If that is excessive, it's still subjective, but WAY better resolution than other subjective methods, that's when to worry. Small amounts of not sealing in the valves or the pistons will dramatically increace the water that you get at the bottom of the tank, regardless of the cause. Still doesn't mean it's garbage, just that it's worn to where then, you might consider looking into some rebuild parts. And that's what you're worried about. The bearings, crankshaft, all the oily parts, if you didn't run it out of oil, they won't be what suffered. It's the air side that suffers when that happens.

Mag starter good.

Here are instructions, we did almost same to ours, or switch is just on/off, need to update it.

Make sure compressor is in run state, drain air until it starts.

Remove power.

Locate a SPDP Toggle switch and remove cover from mag starter after removing power.

Look for a wire coming from the pressure switch to the contactor coil inside the mag starter.

Find where it connects to coil, disconnect it.

If tank is low, apply power to insure compressor does not run, this confirms you have correct wire.

Remove power.

Locate a convenient spot to mount the switch on your starter.

Connect a new wire from an outside post to where you disconnected the first wire.

Connect the wire you disconnected to one of the center post.

Check your work.

Apply power.

The switch sould now control compressor.

Examine inside to determine free space.

Attach cover for now.

Locate a SPST or better relay with a 120 VAC. coil, a power cord and straign relief.

Remove power and open cover.

Relay connections usually labeled as follows.

Coil
Coil
NC. Normally Closed
NO Normally Open
C Common

Drill hole and install straign relief.

Insert cord and make following connections.

Green safety ground to housing or ground connection.

Remaining wires on cord to COIL.

Plug in cord and relay should activate.

Unplug and continue.

For bypass lights,

Connect a wire from relay connection C to other post on toggle switch

Connect a wire from relay NO to the point on the contactor where the other wire to the switch goes or to other post of switch.

For light control separate from compressor control.

Disconnect wire from center post of toggle switch and object to relay C terminal.

Connect a wire from relay NO terminal to toggle center.

External to compressor.
Mount a standard outlet near your compressor and connect it to a switched light.

Light on plug hot.

Plug cord into outlet and switch lights on and off, relay should activate when lights on.

The toggle switch in one position connects the pressure switch to contactor coil.

When you flip switch other way it turns off compressor by opening the connection from pressure switch.

If you added the relay with bypass lights. The pressure switch is connected directly in one position and via the relay in the other.

The second option has the pressure switch wire going through both the relay AND the toggle switch.

With switch OFF Copressor is OFF, Period.

With switch ON, Compressor only can run when lights are on.

Lights off compressor off.

We also added a solenoid air valve with 120 vac Coil.

It plugs into same light controlled outlet.

Lights out air supply off.

We are cheap so we still close ball valve on tank when not in use from habit.

We use the toggle switch to control compressor as we only run it when needed., so toggle off lights on is no compressor.

We still need to add something to indicate compressor switch on when lights out because a 7.5 HP compressor fireibg up when you turn on lights makes one jump.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks for writing all that on a phone.

I installed a tiny toggle switch on my starter when the compressor was new. It was my first magnetic starter, and I thought it was weird that it had no on/off switch, so I improvised.

I did the same thing with my Phase Perfect phase converter. Huge box on the wall running a 7.5-HP lathe, with a toggle switch about the size of a grain of rice.

Thanks for writing all that on a phone.

I installed a tiny toggle switch on my starter when the compressor was new. It was my first magnetic starter, and I thought it was weird that it had no on/off switch, so I improvised.

I did the same thing with my Phase Perfect phase converter. Huge box on the wall running a 7.5-HP lathe, with a toggle switch about the size of a grain of rice.
My compressor is set up with a tiny little switch too, I love the odd looks I get from people!

I want to follow up on the new drain I installed. I got rid of it.

The drain was attached to a lanyard, and it had a spring inside it. When I pulled the lanyard, the drain opened, and when I released it, it closed. I didn't like it because it didn't get all the water out. You have to leave your drain open if you really want the water out. It drips down the walls inside the compressor over time.

I put the old system back in, with a change. I put an elbow on the bottom of the compressor, and I replaced the 10" stainless braided hose with a 48" hose. Now I can drain the tank while standing beside it instead of crawling under it, and I can leave the drain open.

When I reinstalled the elbow, I found that the threads on the tank were corroded. I got a 1/4" NPT tap on Ebay and cleared it out.

I would like to get a longer drain line for this thing. I bought a braided hose, but it's only around 10" long. Ridiculous. You have to bend over and reach way down under the tank. Nobody seems to make a longer braided hose.

I wonder if I can find a hydraulic hose that would fit. I couldn't find air hoses for my air dryer, so I used hydraulic hose.
an air hose is a braided line. just pick up the size you want? 3/8 1/2 it gets expensive for 3/4 or more.

Back