How many drill chucks are enough?

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
So after getting a Jacobs 16N chuck cheap the other day I started wondering how many drill chucks I had. So I gathered up all the ones that were not attached to portable drills. At what point are you a hoarder?

DSCF1978.JPG

And yes I have keys to fit them all.

DSCF1979.JPG

While I was gathering the keys I found the chuck in the key picture. So that makes 20.:yikes:

DSCF1978.JPG DSCF1979.JPG

I can't compete with that, can't have more than 10 that aren't fitted to portables.... Since I got a.couple of keyless Rohm chucks, I don't seem to change 'em often either, so I guess some are technically surplus to requirements and could be sold - like hell they could :D

Davids shop storage 003.jpgDavids shop storage 004.jpgDavids shop storage 002.jpgDon--I wish you wouldn't have started this thread--It made me round up over half of mine to show that you are not a hoarder--just a machinist with a good imagination of what else you can use good chucks for--What else would we do with them, just throw them in the trash? I've got lots of projects ahead for them--I'll bet I have extras of a few other things also. :roflmao: A happy collector-:thinking:----Dave

Davids shop storage 004.jpg Davids shop storage 002.jpg Davids shop storage 003.jpg

Last edited:
Don you are cracking me up-

At first, I thought "wow, he DOES have a lot of drill chucks".

Then I saw this pic I took of a stand on my 10L- already SIX chucks that are on just ONE machine, PLUS TWO more in a drawer. ... The biggest is a 20N on a 5C shank and a few MT3 for the headstock. Then a few MT2 for the tailstock.
... and there TWO more waiting for re-shanking!

yjy9ajaz.jpg

That's already 10 chucks for one machine... After counting, I have almost 25 CHUCKS!!!!

To continue:

There is the small Atlas 618 with FOUR drill chucks- one official 1x10 threaded headstock chuck, another MT2 for the headstock, and two MT1 for the tailstock.

THEN SIX chucks for the Rusnok head on Hardinge TM Mill, on 1/2 inch straight shanks, varying sizes, including an 8 inch long-reach Jacobs 1A.

THEN the actual MT2 drill press!! Hah hah!! I had no idea that I was a drill chuck collector!!
I should put them all together and take a picture! Man, I had no idea...
I am sure I have some duplicate MT2's between the headstock of the Atlas, tailstock of the 10L, and MT2 drill press. But I am a great fan of Lillian and Frank Gilbreth's efficiency and ergonomics studies (remember the ones with the light bulbs? :)

havara3a.jpg

Bernie

at least one per drill, lathe mill..soooo 37

I can play this game . :encourage:

I am feeling severely inadequate. I'd like at least 1/2 dozen more good quality Jacobs Super Chucks. I'm tired of cheep chucks that don't hold.

Then I'd have ... 8. I'll go hide in shame now.

Back