How Many of These Have You Destroyed? ....

bretthl

Registered
Registered
I need a more robust solution in carbide. I have destroyed 3 of these asian made pieces of junk. And I do baby them. They are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

P1000810.resized.JPG

I've wrecked more by babying them than anything else. My golden rule is that if an idle thought of "is this setup rigid enough?" crosses my mind, I need to stop and have a little word with myself before proceeding. When you say destroyed, do you mean the holder or inserts?

I'm running MGEH inserts and can finally part effectively after many years of pain and abject failure parting with HSS.

Rigidity, lube, and power feed works for my current lathe, but on my Atlas it was scary at times!
Pierre

At my technical school and at my current work place there were always ISCAR holders and inserts. Only once did is see one fail and that was from another student on a turret lathe who presumably put the tool on crooked. Sacrifice to say this is one place I won't cheap out. I have a had a number of no name brand solid HSS parting blades explode on me, and have since moved a set of USSR blades with mixed successes, working on all things except some 3" dia O1. What I learned is that parting blades work best with a cup top to collapse the chip in on its self, also the sides must be relived and/or be absolutely vertical.

Love those tools - haven't destroyed a single one, despite Mr Cockup dropping in unannounced a few times. I have one for BXA, one for CXA.
I use an Aloris *XA-7 style parting tool holder for these. The clamping action probably helps keep the insert seated.

If you're breaking these, maybe the tool isn't on center?

I just destroyed one this weekend. They are not forgiving. A HSS tool is a lot less expensive and struggles but rarely blows up spectacularly. That's not to say that these aren't useful, they just have their place.

Yes I destroyed an expensive one at work many, many years ago.
We ordered a new one & I put it in a drawer & continued to use the HSS blade type which was never a problem.
This was not a production shop, just basically one off parts.
I suspect it was my fault. I thought I knew what I was doing.

At my technical school and at my current work place there were always ISCAR holders and inserts. Only once did is see one fail and that was from another student on a turret lathe who presumably put the tool on crooked. Sacrifice to say this is one place I won't cheap out. I have a had a number of no name brand solid HSS parting blades explode on me, and have since moved a set of USSR blades with mixed successes, working on all things except some 3" dia O1. What I learned is that parting blades work best with a cup top to collapse the chip in on its self, also the sides must be relived and/or be absolutely vertical.

Thanks, I will give your recommendation a try. I just grabbed a new ISCAR GHGR 16-3 off ebay for 30 USD. That's less than the cost of replacing that POS Shars insert holder.

Back